X1950XTX and WoW

bhaltair

n00b
So I just built my new computer:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
2 GB Corsair DDR2-800 (PC-6400)
ATI Radeon 1950XTX

I had a couple quick questions when playing WoW and other games in general. Should I use the Catalyst Control Panel to adjust AA/AF/HDR etc. in games or should I use the game's settings? For instance should I have the AA Slider in WoW maxed or should I just adjust it through the Catalyst Control Panel. Finally I was wondering about performance, can I expect to run WoW with everything on (Temporal AA, Adaptive AA, High Quality 16x AF etc) in 1680x1050 resolution? I also heard that there was some hard limit on the max FPS you can get in WoW (60 fps?). Anyway all help is appreciated.

Always use in-game sliders/checkboxes when available. In some cases, games like to bypass control panel settings, so if you've selected 4xAA via the CP and no anti-aliasing in the in-game menus, you may end up with no AA. Besides, the less you muck with the control panel, the less mucking with the control panel you must do when you want to play something else.

Some sliders are ambiguous, but they always correspond to the capabilities of your card. If the AA slider has three settings, it's going to correspond to 0x, 2x and 4x respectively. A fourth setting would use 6x or 8x, depending on the card.

Back