X1950XT AGP Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try to tight the screws found on the top of the copper plate, also make sure that you have the TEC plug Plugged that's hidden underneath the whole cooling thing. My card idles at 40C and it doesn't exceed the 59C in a room temperature of 84F.

meh.. drop a x1950 Pro in an nforce3 board and u got yourself a decent upgrade. The card runs most games at high FPS anyway and scores 5000 points on 3dmark 06 , just slightly below the 8800GTS. So Really don't see the point in buying a bunch of parts for a PCI-Express setup (new ram, new cpu etc.)

meh.. drop a x1950 Pro in an nforce3 board and u got yourself a decent upgrade. The card runs most games at high FPS anyway and scores 5000 points on 3dmark 06 , just slightly below the 8800GTS. So Really don't see the point in buying a bunch of parts for a PCI-Express setup (new ram, new cpu etc.)

First of all, the 8800GTS and 1950 are completely incomparable performance-wise.

Even 754 setups have good PCI-E options available. For example, the NV8 I ran in the setup in my sig was an amazing board that gave me an Nforce 4 subsystem and good ole PCI-E for $65.

Certainly in the case of Chef here, he's already running an AM2 processor with DDR2 RAM; for him it's a no-brainer.

Anyway, I don't want to devolve this age-old thread by turning it into a PCI-E v AGP debate.

Ok, taking in to account what you said about me already having the AM2 processor/RAM i have gone for the EVGA 8800 GTX with an Asus M2N-Sli Deluxe mobo. I know the cost of those is way above my limit but i have put them on my cc and will now go and sell all the bits mentioned earlier to recoup some of what i have paid and pay off the rest with xmas money when xmas arrives.

So far so good. No crashes, everything runs a dream. Crysis gives 25 FPS with everything on full at 1600x1200 with temps of the 8800GTX running at 62c idle and 71c under full load.

Sorry for disrupting this thread. I did love the X1950XT on AGP but you have shown me that i needed to move on. Thanks alot :)

[PTG]Chef_uk;1031606904 said:
Ok, taking in to account what you said about me already having the AM2 processor/RAM i have gone for the EVGA 8800 GTX with an Asus M2N-Sli Deluxe mobo. I know the cost of those is way above my limit but i have put them on my cc and will now go and sell all the bits mentioned earlier to recoup some of what i have paid and pay off the rest with xmas money when xmas arrives.

So far so good. No crashes, everything runs a dream. Crysis gives 25 FPS with everything on full at 1600x1200 with temps of the 8800GTX running at 62c idle and 71c under full load.

Sorry for disrupting this thread. I did love the X1950XT on AGP but you have shown me that i needed to move on. Thanks alot :)

you should have went for the GT instead. cheaper and performs more or less the same has a gtx

you should have went for the GT instead. cheaper and performs more or less the same has a gtx

The 8800GT Fall-Out has even made it into this thread. Amazing, anyway I totally agree. The GTX costs around $500 US which is double the cost of the GT and it's just a hair behind the GTX in performance. Although, your potential for overclocking the GTX will be greater, but still. As far as value goes, the GT is it ....at least for this week. :)

OK, now back on topic....

[PTG]Chef_uk, what are you doing with the Gecube X1950XT card? It appeared to be faulty? Are you selling it?

The 8800GT Fall-Out has even made it into this thread. Amazing, anyway I totally agree. The GTX costs around $500 US which is double the cost of the GT and it's just a hair behind the GTX in performance. Although, your potential for overclocking the GTX will be greater, but still. As far as value goes, the GT is it ....at least for this week. :)

[PTG]Chef_uk, what are you doing with the Gecube X1950XT card? It appeared to be faulty? Are you selling it?
Hes back! lol and you got a 8800gt and no more agp, hows the gt?

Yea i'll be putting it on ebay. Someone else might have better luck with keeping it cool.

As for getting the GT. It may only be behind the GTX but it won't play crysis at 1600x1200 nor frontlines fuel of war so i stumped up for the GTX knowing it will outlive the GT on stock settings. Don't get me wrong, i will sell the GT to anyone who asks for their next gfx card but i personally feel better with the GTX (with 20c to spare aswell it seems).

Hes back! lol and you got a 8800gt and no more agp, hows the gt?

Hey, I never left. As a matter of fact, the insanity continues. Went PCI-E a little over two months ago and I just Ebayed my 2900XT to give the 8800GT a fly. Just started playing with it a few minutes ago after the Kids finally went to bed. So far so good. No fan whine as some other have compalined about and my kids Ultimate Spider-man game works again. The game didn't get along well with the 2900XT/Catalyst combo. Temps also seem better, although we'll see tomorrow after I load RIivatuner. Bioshock looks great, and I just gave 3DMark05 a whirl and got a decent 19,535 with the card set at the default EVGA Overclock of 650 Mhz. Core / 1900 Mhz. memory. Will try and push the core a bit tomorrow with Rivatuner. Anyway, time to see if this card is all it's cracked up to be and so far it is. See ya.

Go John, Go...!!! :D

I'm very interested in what you feel about the GT myself...

Not that my 1950Pro is giving me any prob's,,, It's been
just dandy... Plays the Crysis demo without a hitch... :cool:

But who knows...? By Christmas (or there abouts) the
price might be down on the GT and then...(?)

But then there's the ATI 3800 series soon to be released
as well... :p

Come by and say "Hi" once in awhile at the "Other"
place if you have the notion... Lot's of people have asked
about you...

Anyone have one of these or know a place to get a good deal?

Newegg's is 245 + tax & s/h.

its a waste to go with this card, its a little bit of a performance for a lot more money.

just get a 1950 pro from sapphire. i did. should be here on tuesday, hopefully tomorrow, since i ordered it on wednesday, 3 day shipping= monday. soooo.....yeah. gonna be awesome.

its a waste to go with this card, its a little bit of a performance for a lot more money.

just get a 1950 pro from sapphire. i did. should be here on tuesday, hopefully tomorrow, since i ordered it on wednesday, 3 day shipping= monday. soooo.....yeah. gonna be awesome.

Is a waste of money if you don't have a CPU that can keep up with the XT. The XT has 33% more Pixel Shaders, 33% more Pixel Pipelines, 33% more texture fillrate, and it has 69MHz more in core speed (At stock) the performance difference is considerable, but doesn't worth the expense (Even though you can find X1950PRO at $209.00). My friend has the same X1950PRO with 512MB with the same 3.0GHz Pentium 4 Prescott, and using for example, an old game which the only difference is frame rate, at 1280x1024 with everything maxxed using the Counter Strike Video Test, he scored 89fps while I scored 142fps, a bad combination of CPU and GPU can be fatal, I'm still CPU bound even for a X1950PRO.

Is a waste of money if you don't have a CPU that can keep up with the XT. The XT has 33% more Pixel Shaders, 33% more Pixel Pipelines, 33% more texture fillrate, and it has 69MHz more in core speed (At stock) the performance difference is considerable, but doesn't worth the expense (Even though you can find X1950PRO at $209.00). My friend has the same X1950PRO with 512MB with the same 3.0GHz Pentium 4 Prescott, and using for example, an old game which the only difference is frame rate, at 1280x1024 with everything maxxed using the Counter Strike Video Test, he scored 89fps while I scored 142fps, a bad combination of CPU and GPU can be fatal, I'm still CPU bound even for a X1950PRO.

how can a cpu be a bottleneck? if you have a cpu higher then say umm 2.8ghz im sure thats enough. games are not cpu dependent, they are GPU dependent. only when your playing at very low res then comes the cpu bottleneck

A CPU plays an important role in todays games. CPU does the A.I, Collision detection, scripting etc, if a CPU is not fast enough to do those tasks quickly, the GPU must wait for the CPU. A prove of this, 3DMark05 which is not multi threaded, I used to score 7,784 with my current card and a Pentium 4 3.4GHz Extreme Edition while people with a Core 2 Duo running at 2.4GHz at stock, they get over 10,000 with the same card in a lowly resolution of 1024x768 in which 3DMark05 runs at default, games like Half Life 2, Crysis and Lost Planet are quite CPU dependant. When I put the Pentium M CPU which doesn't even have Hyper Threading and runs 1GHz below my old Pentium 4, I scored almost 10,000 in 3DMark05 which is full 2,000 more than with my P4 EE, and the difference between a X1950PRO and X1950XT is not that much, but why my setup is more than 55% faster in Counter Strike than my friends PC? Cause the CPU plays an important role in gaming. A Pentium 4 can bottleneck any card from the X1650XT and above, and now that there's Dual Core CPU's, the CPU dependency will get higher.

So... about a little 2 years later.
I'm searching my handlename on google for old forums I poofed in and saw this, haha.

This is kind of provided as comic relief, as I think a few people will pop in and say, wtf necrobump!

What did we learn?
AGP phased out and died.
s754 phased out and died.
End of story!

Perhaps we learned from this what to expect of a dying bus, or PCIe taking over AGP.

*disappears from the backstage*

Bumping a 2 year old thread without good reason is a great way to earn yourself some time off around here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back