• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

x1950GT users you happy?

Glow

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 20, 2002
Messages
4,834
Considering the cards going pretty cheap with the rebate I can't really complain if I got one, but overall performance/ overclocking what do you guys think?
 
I'm happy so far, though I'm a little underwhelmed coming from a 6800gt. For the price it's pretty good, though. I only spent $30 on the upgrade. If you want to overclock, make sure you get ati tray tools so you can use driver level overclocking on the memory.

It's kind of funny, I bought it in anticipation of stalker, but the game runs like absolute horse manuer. I had to turn dynamic lighting all the way off :( This is more a problem with the game than with the x1950gt though.

I run oblivion with grass and hdr at 1280x1024. Frames dip into the teens sometimes though.

Honestly if I had to do it again I'd spend the extra to get an x1900xt or just wait till the new midrange nvidia or ati series comes out.
 
Well aware of that, but thanks. As a consumer I shouldn't have to care WHY it runs like manure, just that it shouldn't. Although it didn't help that I had both X1900s running at 2D clocks all the time since I forgot to leave the hotkey poller enabled when I installed the latest drivers. Also my main exhaust fan wasn't working so I was getting idle temps of ~80°C :eek: All sorted now, have O/Ced the X1900s and it runs a bit better, still waiting for a Crossfire fix.
 
I thought the catalyst 7.3's allow crossfire in stalker, oh but wait the bugs with it lol, full dynamic was a rushed feature, it feels so unstable when I turn it on, and when I do it just looks like doom 3 lol.
 
It's kind of funny, I bought it in anticipation of stalker, but the game runs like absolute horse manuer. I had to turn dynamic lighting all the way off :( This is more a problem with the game than with the x1950gt though.


If you run a custom configuration file (user.ltx) you can tweak it really nicely.
I have a 512mb X1900XT and it runs like crap on full dynamic lighting, but with the settings I got from the arstechnica stalker thread, it runs so much smoother. The visuals are slightly reduced compared to regular in game "max settings" but it still looks excellent. Much better than the in game static lighting setting. I swear the minimum fps must have doubled. Night and day difference.
 
I'mt not sure what all this complaining about stalker performance is about. I can understand being pissed at no crossfire but how high fps are the rest of you guys looking for? I run the rig in my sig with everything on medium-high and dynamic lighting on. I get around 40fps throughout the whole thing.
 
If I turn off AA I can get 60fps out of every other game with max settings (and in most of them at least some AA can stay on) - that's what I expect from Stalker. I wouldn't mind if I just needed better hardware - indeed, when a new game comes out I can't run in max settings at native res on my monitor, I consider it time to upgrade (Bioshock looks like it may be the next one). In this case however it'd run fine if Crossfire worked (since I can get 30 FPS on a single card), which is just irritating.
 
Back
Top