X1950 VPU Recovery?

Karant

Gawd
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
607
Okay, so I'm using the latest Catalyst drivers, Catalyst Control Center 7.4 and just tonight I was playing Battlefield 2 for about 20 minutes until everything froze and a VPU Recovery window popped up, saying that my video-card was denying to process any further VPU calculations. I was still able to go back into Battlefield 2 and play just fine after closing the window, however I exited soon after to check my temps. My temps were in the mid-40's shortly after playing the game, and I ran 3DMark05 'Canyon Flight' at max detail settings for 20 minutes and the highest my temps got were 60 degrees celsius. So what is the deal?!
 
After a few runs of 3DMark06, my GPU reached a max of 72 degree's celsius... no OCing or artifacting at all... is this too hot? Thanks!
 
The temps are fine. Ive had the same things happening to me before, its prob a driver issue.
 
Okay, so last night at 1:00 AM I left my PC on looping 3DMark05's graphics demo's for two hours (no CPU tests), the next day I checked it at 1:00 PM, this is pretty much what I get...

erroref1.jpg


No artifacting, the program just went black and resumed once I pressed 'Do Not Send' in the ATi VPU Recovery window. My catalyst version is 07.4, should I roll back? And could disabling VPU recovery be potentially dangerous? Thanks!
 
Ive had that happen before, but more times than not my computer reboots itself instead of vpu recover, I think vpu recover is junk. But then again it could be saving you from a fried card or a reboot. I don't think the card would fry itself however, it would prob just reboot your computer.

Ive tried running full screen RTHDRIBL overnight, then come back and find out that its minimized, not running intill i unminimized it, and my hd and monitor are both set to always on with no screensavers.

Those temps are fine, It mite be drivers as ive said, 7.3s seemed to have less problems for me than 7.4s. But then again catalyst drivers are second rate in my book to start off with.

I would say disable VPU recover, ether when you do that and run 3dmark overnight it will still be running when you wake up or you will come back to a blank screen and a nonresponsive computer or it will be rebooted. If you get the latter 2 problems happening, you card cant take it, which makes no sense because it should.
 
Okay, now even after 2 hours of 3DMark graphic tests, the computer screen goes blank and freezes and nothing appears... but the power is still on... RMA it?
 
You could, but I honestly dont think a new card is going to fix this, theres some sort of flaw in the drivers or card, this happens to way to many x1950pro's . the XT and XTX don't get these kind of problems, I believe its the digital VRM's.

I mean yeah you payed for a working card and thats what you should get, but if it only does it after hardcore benchmarking then is it really a problem, I would see that it would be if you couldn't play games because of this (and mabye you cant). I dunno, I only get problems once a week or two, and im pushing this card to the max (folding @ home + high ambient temps + balls to the wall gaming.
 
reinstall the video driver, try different versions... it looks like a false positive -- ur temps are fine. If it continues RMA it.
 
I had a 9800Pro where the fan rusted off.... not sure how, guess I was living in a humid area. Anyways, it got hot, so hot that I touched the heatsink once or twice and it near burned me. VPU Recovery is what would happen to me, sometimes it would reboot, but more times than not it would just give me a blank screen/VPU Recovery screen. I had that card so underclocked until I got a different cooler on it....

My suggestion, especially if the drivers don't work: Cool it down and see what happens. Open the case and blow a fan on it if need be.
 
Please see my linked post below...I'll be starting a thread very soon related to the issue:

link

EDIT: I just found a microcode update from microsoft that is supposed to fix a lot of the issues linked to possible Core 2 errata...and I'm installing it as we speak. I'll chime in later with results...hopefully all goes well.
 
Back
Top