• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X1950 Pro runs really hot, is this normal?

The_X

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Messages
296
My X1950Pro 512 PCI-E idle temps are 50-53C and under load it goes to 80 sometimes. Occasionally I'll have to quit a game and restart because of heavy artifacting, but I rarely game so it's generally not a big issue.

Is a constant 50C idle load going to shorten the life of my video card, or is this about normal for an X1950Pro? And if it's bad enough to warrant a new cooler, can someone suggest some effective and quiet coolers? I've been tempted by the VF-900Cu but it's crazy expensive at $45 compared to the $140 I paid for the card itself.
 
you might try and reseat the heatsink with new arctic silver 5, they might have done a crappy job with the original thermal paste. and ya, those temps seem a bit high. mine idles at 40-42C and loads at a max of 62C, but I also have a lot of airflow so my temps are generally lower than most people.
 
I did that already and temps got a bit lower (2-3C) but not by much. I can't afford a new HSF right now though... it seems the Arctic Cooling S1 is another good choice but with the fan attachment it also runs close to $50 shipped.

Since when did coolers get so damn expensive!?
 
have you downloaded ATI Tray Tools and set the fan to run at 100%?
 
At 80C, there shouldn't be any artifacts unless the voltage regulators are getting too hot. GPUs are designed to much hotter than CPUs. Smells like there's something else that's the culprit.
 
At 80C, there shouldn't be any artifacts unless the voltage regulators are getting too hot. GPUs are designed to much hotter than CPUs. Smells like there's something else that's the culprit.

agreed
 
If a pro is anything like an XT, 80C is nothing to worry about it. If I don't set a custom fan profile, my gpu hits 90C under load. I believe it can withstand up to 100-110 and remain within spec. Although like all silicon, it degrades with prolonged exposure to heat. But over a scale of years. It will be obsolete long before the heat frys the chip.
 
Back
Top