x1900xtx: PSU Compatibility/.NET Framework Issues/Catalyst Drivers (Need ATI Gurus)

Xathagorra

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 25, 2006
Messages
65
Hi all,

I have a few of rather detailed questions, if anyone can help.

1) I'm about to install the MSI Radeon x1900xtx 512 into my system, with an ASUS mobo and Antec Nvidia/PCI-E Certified 550W PSU. Is this set-up going to be alright?

I know just because the PSU is Nvidia Certified and the mobo SLI doesn't mean I cant run an ATI card (I'm running only one card, so don't need Crossfire, so SLI means nothing) but want to make sure it'll all be powerful enough and compatible.

2) With the new line of ATI cards, their new Catalyst drivers (starting with 6.1) all require the MS .NET Framework to be installed.

I've never installed it in the past because I've heard there are some potential security and performance issues when it's on your system. I also know of/have talked with others who absolutely refuse to install it out of privacy vs. Microsoft concerns for certain reasons.

Are any of these things actual issues to be concerned about?

3) I never liked the Control Center with ATI, only the Control Panel, which is another thing they changed. The Control Center has always been very buggy, but with the new line of x1000+ cards, you need the newest drivers, and with the newest drivers come ONLY the Control Center.

Could I install an older package (say the Catalyst 5.11) to have the Control Panel then just update the video driver from the 6.9 Catalyst package without a problem?

I actually just did that on this PC I'm using right now, and everything seems ok, but since my new system (just waiting for the new card) will be finished tommorow and I've already had some major issues attempting to use an Nvidia card (7900GT CO) I want to make sure that everything "comes together" with the new ATI card/set-up.

I would greatly appreciate any in-depth feedback on these three issues, and am in need of it so nothing gets screwed-up.

Thanks in advance :)
 
Back
Top