X1900XTX Performance...am i missing something?

Buztafen

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

Just upgraded my Mobo and graphics card (see sig) an im not 100% impressed with the performance of the X1900.

Coming from an X850XT PE i wasnt expecting a massive change but im only getting an increase of about 1400 3Dmark points (getting scores around 8300) an a few FPS in games like Oblivion an FEAR etc...

Is there a bottleneck somewhere im missing..

Checked all the usual things (spyware, viruses, BIOS update, Drivers etc)

Seeing scores of around 10,000 from other stock X1900XTX's just wondering if theres a problem somewhere... :confused:

two things hindered my performance. One, my psu and the other, fresh install of windows.

Your CPU is limiting you IMHO. That and a much larger power supply should be used.

What resolution are you gaming at? Anything under 1280x1024 you won't see much difference unless you crank up the AA / AF.

Oblivion performance is strange at best and doesnt scale well. It's neither cpu limited nor gpu limited at a certain point...

Can't comment on 3dmark as you havent said which your even running.

Havent done a fresh install of windows. Was 'hoping' i wouldnt have too as the comp was originally a HP OEM which dont come with an XP disk. If i do go with the fresh install whats the best course of action? Do i need to buy a copy of XP or are you able to create an XP install disk from software on the comp....never needed to do it before so any help would be appreciated :rolleyes:

Sorry Shocky...im running 3DMark 05....normal bench.

Im running everythin at 1280/1024 (native res or LCD), full eye candy, moderate AA/AF

Tagan 420w PSU has 22a on the +12v rail. Theres not much else being powered in there other than a DVD writer and ROM. Thought that would be enough?

Also another question, i know that the X1900 has different 2D and 3D core and mem speeds (500/594,650/725?) but would a program such as ATT which can show the clocks during a game register the change? Played various games (Doom 3, Oblivion, FEAR) and ATT showed the clocks stayed at 500 and 594? :(

Cheers all!!

an HP oem? are you refering to the one in your signature? did you swap the motherboard and other stuff and still havent reinstalled windows? ....wow

You cn request disks from HP that will help you reinstalling, I did that for someone years ago.

It started out life as a HP OEM (got it incredibly cheap) an ive just upgraded from there.

Things ive changed are

GPU : X600 PRO --> X850XT PE --> X1900XTX

PSU : Crappy 300w B'r'estec --> 420w Tagan wt 22A on +12v

MEM : 1gb Infineon --> 2gb Corsair Value Select

CASE : Original HP case --> Coolmaster Praetorian 732

and most recently....

MOBO : Original HP Asus PTGD1 --> DFI Lanparty 915P-T12...

Ive kept the original Optical Drives an SATA HD's etc

Out of these changes, the only thing that would warrant a fresh install would be the new Mobo...right?

Thing is its been working fine....no BSOD's, no crashing, quick as before if not faster. Its just the card performance im confused about... 8300 in 3Dmark05 cant be right seen as i were getting 6900 with my X850?... can it :confused:

If you are still running the original Windows, I would try a fresh install.
Use the disks that came with your HP.
Download the latest drivers and patches.

Chernobyl1 said:
If you are still running the original Windows, I would try a fresh install.
Use the disks that came with your HP.
Download the latest drivers and patches.

Thats the problem...they dont send disks with XP on out with there PC's anymore. There some recovery software thats installed but nothing that can help with a fresh install? Gonna have to see if i can request a disk from HP?....

Anyone any ideas on why Ati Tray Tools shows the core and mem at 500 and 594 in 3D applications when it should be higher?

Your ATI card has different speeds for 2D and 3D operation, maybe the 2D speed is being shown?

If you have used another tool to overclock, the ATI Services running on your PC can reset the clocks back to default or whatever the 'driver' is configured to.

Buztafen said:
Thats the problem...they dont send disks with XP on out with there PC's anymore. There some recovery software thats installed but nothing that can help with a fresh install? Gonna have to see if i can request a disk from HP?....

Anyone any ideas on why Ati Tray Tools shows the core and mem at 500 and 594 in 3D applications when it should be higher?

It sounds like it isnt changing to 3d speeds. Screwing around ive had that happen before and performance is definitely low when its not fully clocked. Create a 3d profile in ati tool using whatever voltage and clocks you want to use, save the profile, and set it to load with any 3d program. That might solve your problem.

Back