X1800XT Sighting in Canada!

Better believe it...of course there's time for prices to re-adjust to actual product availability, but considering most (256MB) 7800GTX's in Canada are in the 650-700 range...I'm not surprised. I'll never be dealing with Anitec again after some horrid service (or lack thereof) that they showed me, but it's at least nice to see someone listing the cards. Seeing as I won't be building a full new system for a little while, the longest I'm going to wait to pick everything up is until the 7800GTX 512MB and teh X1800XT are both available and ready for review, so that I can see what's really going on. Expect the two cards to be in roughly the same pricepoint, but with Nvidia getting another headstart on the market with there GTX refresh, we'll see what happens.

Sure the 512MB GTX is sporting a massive cooler, but whatever I buy will be running on it's own h2O loop...so unless one card or the other comPLETELY blows the other one out of the water with its "out of the box" performance, I'll be looking to the "crazies" over at XS to try and get an idea of how much headroom I'd have with either card.

Can't wait for this thing to hit shelves, I'll admit that I do carry a bit of ATI preference...but I'm not going to be ignorant enough to follow a set path if the numbers/reviews are saying something completely different.

/rant

millerpa17 said:
What a fucking rip off!

Depends on how you look at it, until I see how the 512MB GTX performs, the X1800XT is on the top of my most wanted list...because I'm stubborn in the fact that I want to stick with a single card setup...I'd rather have one highend card then two midrange for bragging rights, and I dont game enough to REALLY see the benefit to running a pair of $700 cards.

Borgschulze said:
7800GTX was the same price at launch, so how is it a rip-off?

That's another thing...a card is out for 4-6 months, people forget what price it launched at, and then flip out when the refresh starts out the same way. :rolleyes:

Floppor said:
HOLY SHIT! :eek::eek: is this card realy worth 800 dollars??? :eek:

as it stands right now with the buggy (or lack of proper) driver support? sh*t no this card isnt worth no 800 dollars. it isnt even worth half that until ATi gets their damn driver issue(s) worked out. I think it sucks bigtime when you spend $600 on a damn video card that needs to have "hot fixes" applied to it.

Jesus, its bad enough that it took ATi forever to bring this damn card out but now the freakin' driver support sucks just as bad (if not worse) than the actual waiting time it took for the card to hit the streets.

Ozzigen the problem is out their and has been discussed at length.
You knew what you were buying the new drivers for this card are coming out this month.
Calm down. What your saying is true but its wat to heated.

ozziegn said:
as it stands right now with the buggy (or lack of proper) driver support? sh*t no this card isnt worth no 800 dollars. it isnt even worth half that until ATi gets their damn driver issue(s) worked out. I think it sucks bigtime when you spend $600 on a damn video card that needs to have "hot fixes" applied to it.

Jesus, its bad enough that it took ATi forever to bring this damn card out but now the freakin' driver support sucks just as bad (if not worse) than the actual waiting time it took for the card to hit the streets.

Unfortunately you seem to be the only one with driver problems. When I went from my x1800xl back to my x800xl I didnt even have to reinstall the drivers. When I went from the x800xl to the X1800XT I had to reinstall the drivers, but it worked perfectly the first time.

Driver issues aside it still has the potential to be one HELL of a card. For people (like myself) who still primarily look at single card performance, I'm very excited to see how this thing does once it's had a little time to mature. I'm dropping money back into a new setup to get back into OC'ing...and from what I've seen at XS, the X1800XT has some KILLER oc potential...while it wasn't stable for much of anything, Sampsa over at XS was running LN2 on his X1800XT and with some voltage work, got the cards core running at 1GHz, and the memory at 2GHz DDR...REALLY makes me wanna pickup a second Vapochill LS to put on the X1800XT if/when I've got the cash to do this whole build. :p

i wonder when we'll actually see one in stock up north here... someone should just go knock on their door with cash in hand "uhhh hi, can i get an x1800xt? maybe a tshirt while i'm here too? no? ok..." haha

also, holy crap 2 vapo's :eek: even with our half decent exchange now that's still a hunk of cash... man

Krayzie135 said:
its "Canadian dollar" not Canadian pesos, jus so you know ;)
Bunch of "Loonies" :p

ATI is based in Canada. Do they have an "ATI Store" attached to their building? It would be cool to be able to visit these tech companies, get a tour and then stop off at the gift shop and buy some equipment.

Double Jesus said:
also, holy crap 2 vapo's :eek: even with our half decent exchange now that's still a hunk of cash... man

I know I know...dunno if it'll actually happen...

Even though it'd make more sense to put the Vapo on the CPU to get around some of the processor bottleneck with an X1800XT, the system would look a lot nicer with a really nice/clean h2O setup (possibly with a Pelt) on the CPU, and a Vapo LS underneath the modded PC6077B running on the X1800XT...I just like the possibilites of that too much...arg, got myself drooling again. :D

you know whats retarded, im 20min away from ATI and someone in the western coast of the US can get an ati card before me! ><

Here's a Sapphire X1800XT for $649... I live right around the corner from their Yonge & Bloor location and buy things from them sometimes when I don't have time for Canada Computers on College St. I would rate their service as "OK". They also have the Sapphire X1800XL for $499. I have no idea if they have stock, but will usually have your item next day. Are these the only people around TO that aren't price gouging?

http://www.pcvonline.com/productDetails.aspx?id=1678

http://www.pcvonline.com/productDetails.aspx?id=1457

Digital Viper-X- said:
you know whats retarded, im 20min away from ATI and someone in the western coast of the US can get an ati card before me! ><
;p That's Canadia for you, j/p I love Canada. Still kind of supid that a Canadian company shipped cards to US first...

air2k5 said:
;p That's Canadia for you, j/p I love Canada. Still kind of supid that a Canadian company shipped cards to US first...

No kidding.....awe well, guess we'll have to sit and wait for our chance, you'd think we were in fricken australia or something sometimes. :p

pvc does have a VERY nice price listed on that 512MB XT though, retail box too, and not that much more expensive then the reputable (brands of) 256MB GTX's at that...in many cases that listing is actually a fair bit lower then I'm seeing 256MB GTX's marked...which I always love. :D

SharpieFiend said:
Here's a Sapphire X1800XT for $649... I live right around the corner from their Yonge & Bloor location and buy things from them sometimes when I don't have time for Canada Computers on College St. I would rate their service as "OK". They also have the Sapphire X1800XL for $499. I have no idea if they have stock, but will usually have your item next day. Are these the only people around TO that aren't price gouging?

http://www.pcvonline.com/productDetails.aspx?id=1678

http://www.pcvonline.com/productDetails.aspx?id=1457
Oh wow, are those Canadian dollars? Pretty decent price there for the xt and xl. I've also seen good pricing at: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=16804&vpn=3040&manufacture=Connect3D
But they don't have any in stock yet. hopefully they will soon, or at least before Christmas.

killboy said:
NCIX always has decent pricing, i found the Asus X1800xl available for 450$ though, and it's in Quebec so most people only pay one tax.
http://www.binarydeals.ca/product_info.php?products_id=450

And I hate anitec, but that's a completely different story.

Nice find on that $450 XL...good to know they're on the way down.

I share your Anitec woes...I use 'em to price match where/when I can, but I'll never deal with them directly again.

NCIX is great on price. Just dont expect to talk to anyone who knows jack about anything. Lucky I know what I want up front and theyre only 20 mins from me. The availability at NCIX may have more to do with ATI getting product out than NCIX getting it in. Remeber the super low units of the X850 XT PEs they got to market...rather shamefull to release a card and never be able to deliver any.

Soujiro said:
Pesos with an exchange rate of 0.83USD

Then if you convert to US Pesos it's about $663 US pesos, I bit higher than what I have seen, from $539(Newegg) to $599(CrappUSA, Fry's) pesos depending where you buy in the US.

:cool: :p :D

Exchange rate for US Dollar to Candian Dollar is 0.873 to 1.

Asus X1800XL (Infonec.com) 419 CAN = 365US.
Connect3D X1800XL (Newegg.com) 325US

Sapphire X1800XT (PCVonline.com) 629 CAN = 549US
ATI Radeon X1800XT (Newegg.com) 529US

Sigh it seems like we have such expensive hardware in realtion to the US :(

It worse if you try to compare the 7800 GT and 7800 GTX prices :( :(

delusion_2005 said:
Holy crap thats expenisve, sill the 512mb GTX would be a better alternative. :D

That depends on your sources...right now there really isn't much of anyone with the GTX512 in stock, and yet there are a number of canadian retailers with the X1800XT 512MB in stock, and for ONLINE retailers (pvconline is a local place out of ontario i think, doesn't ship anywhere) the cheapest I've seen an X1800XT 512MB for is about $690 CDN...and one of the only/few GTX512's I've seen are priced a solid $100 more then the X1800XT.

We'll see how things start to pan out, it might just be a matter of time for prices to level out. If you're talking stock performance It's still a fairly close race between the two cards, depends on what specific games you play and if you're going to OC...the X1800 allows you to increase gpu core voltage on a software level, and given some half decent cooling the card is VERY overclockable.

I'm not going to try and say one way or another what card is the "better" card...but there are a number of things to consider when looking at the two cards.

cornelious0_0 said:
That depends on your sources...right now there really isn't much of anyone with the GTX512 in stock, and yet there are a number of canadian retailers with the X1800XT 512MB in stock, and for ONLINE retailers (pvconline is a local place out of ontario i think, doesn't ship anywhere) the cheapest I've seen an X1800XT 512MB for is about $690 CDN...and one of the only/few GTX512's I've seen are priced a solid $100 more then the X1800XT.

We'll see how things start to pan out, it might just be a matter of time for prices to level out. If you're talking stock performance It's still a fairly close race between the two cards, depends on what specific games you play and if you're going to OC...the X1800 allows you to increase gpu core voltage on a software level, and given some half decent cooling the card is VERY overclockable.

I'm not going to try and say one way or another what card is the "better" card...but there are a number of things to consider when looking at the two cards.
It a tough choice for people living in Toronto, since the 7800 GTX 256 is 575 CAN and X1800 XT 512 is 629 CAN, we just aren't lucky enough to find anything close the 449US the US people get :(, with the disparity this close I would be leaning towards the X1800 XT.

coldpower27 said:
It a tough choice for people living in Toronto, since the 7800 GTX 256 is 575 CAN and X1800 XT 512 is 629 CAN, we just aren't lucky enough to find anything close the 449US the US people get :(, with the disparity this close I would be leaning towards the X1800 XT.

I agree.

Back