X1800xt - Pe?

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
So going by ATI's former naming schemes an X1800XT -PE should debute sometime soon 0.0 this thread is just for speculation unless someone has some info, plus with Nvidias upcoming 512mb refresh, ati should have something planned 0.0

Yeah, if I was ATi I would have had something up my sleeve for whenever Nvidia released their refresh. The Xt's just now hit US retail, I bet it won't be long before rumors of the ATi refresh come out.

Well, ATI only had the XT-PE for one generation and refresh, hard to say if they'll repeat that again. The big brains over at B3D seem to think an X1800 XT PE is unlikely, although a few weeks ago, most thought a revamped GTX with higher clock speeds was impossible, but we're hearing otherwise now.

i have no doubt they will do a refresh or something if nvidia comes out with the insane clocked GTX 512mb... maybe not a PE but more a X1850XT

The R580 is the refresh to the R520. We won't see that beast until NV releases their next card next year. Rumor has it the R580 is a 48 pipe card running unheardof core speed.

R1ckCa1n said:
The R580 is the refresh to the R520. We won't see that beast until NV releases their next card next year. Rumor has it the R580 is a 48 pipe card running unheardof core speed.
hehe like the x1800xt rumors saying it was 32 pipes :p so cut the 48 pipes number in half and your probably right on target. 48 Pipes would be insane though. Hope its true.

R1ckCa1n said:
Rumor has it the R580 is a 48 pipe card running unheardof core speed.
I'm not sure ATi can triple the number of pipes and also significantly increase the clockspeed all on the same 90nm process as R520. Remember the sort of changes we saw going from R430 (X800) to R480 (X850) on the same process? With R580, I think we'll either see a speed bump into the 700-800MHz range or a move to 24/32-pipes.

R1ckCa1n said:
Wasn't it 48 ALUs :confused:

R1ckCa1n said:

LOL!!! 48pipe lines? Do you know how much it would cost? :p

Depends what you call a pipe. While R520 can only process 1 pixel per rendering pipeline, the r580 is rumored to be more like the r530, which can process 3 pixels per pipeline. The r530 has only 4 rendering pipelines, however it can render a total of 12 pixels per clock. The R580 is supposed to have 16 rendering pipelines, so 16x3 = 48 pixels per clock.
Basically, while R520 and R580 both have 16 rendering pipelines, the R580 can handle 3 pixels per pipe, while R520 can only handle one.
At least that's how I understand it. You can't get hung up on "pipes," because that doesn't really mean anything. It's more what those pipes can do.

You can get an explanation (better said) here:

http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/ati/r520/index.php?p=03

Of course, it speculation as to what the R580 will have, in terms of architecture. :p

I Was right after alll!

quoted from anandtech article

The reality, however, is that X1800XT Crossfire and X1800XT PE are coming soon, and ATI RD580 will likely land in early to mid January. We also expect the ATI R580 GPU to land about the same time, and ATI is hard at work on Socket M2 offerings to be launched with that AMD socket.

Based on what we have seen in this RD580 preview, the worries at ATI right now are more about the present than the future. Future solutions look very competitive and exciting to the market. ATI seems to be caught in a release "Twilight Zone", but as they work their way through current release nightmares, the future looks as if it could be very bright again for ATI. Certainly the upcoming RD580 Dual x16 chipset, X1800XT Crossfire, and X1800XT PE look more than competitive. Add to that R580 is just around the corner and it looks as if ATI has the goods coming to erase the last nine months of disappointment

hmm...bastards!

do I open now or return my purchase and wait for a PE

(I have the rest of my computer being delivered this week)

If what we read is true, then those 3 pixels per pipe x 16 pipelines will not be as powerful as 48 full blown pipes, much like hyper-threading isn't as powerful as adding a second full core to a processor. However, once again, like CPUs, the transistor/power/heat savings will be huge as well.

only problem is now getting these parts out to the people ~.~
I Was gonna pick up an x1800xt but now i might just wait a bit =p maybe price will plummit once R580 is released on both the XT and the 512mb GTX XD

Back