x1800xt or 7900gt?

7900gt, runs cooler and quieter. with a very simple 1.4v volt mod, core runs at 670mhz :)

Graham_h said:
7900gt, runs cooler and quieter. with a very simple 1.4v volt mod, core runs at 670mhz :)
yeah... umm heat output... who gives a crap the card is NOWHERE near hot enough to damage itself. noise... speakers or headphones are louder than the card (dont try to say they arent i have a X1900 that I set to spin up to 80-100% in games... its not loud enough to be annoying during gaming unless your TRYING to make NV look better by nitpicking uninportant factors like size instead of IQ, with headphones you cant hear it). X1800's have software adjustable voltage no need for a risky hard mod and can hit 750 mhz on air, they also have High Quality AF, and HDR+AA capabilities oh yeah its only 270 dollars http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102698 ... and 30 dollars CHEAPER than the CHEAPEST non available 7900 GT... I honestly fail to see how people can recommend the 7900's over their X1K counterpart.

Not to mention the residual heat is blown out of the back of the case instead of out toward your mainboard's chipset.

Rabid Badger said:
Thanks for the input, guys. Especially CaiNaM and Stereophile. I think I'm going to go with the x1800xt, it seems to be the better all-around performer, and since I play my games with hi-fi earphones a little whining at high temps won't bother me, and the new ATI 3200 motherboard chipset seems to be pretty awesome. Of course, if I get that, I'll eventually have to get a second x1800xt, just because I can. No wonder I'm always broke. :rolleyes:

i'm sure you'll be happy with it. and i think most of us here feel the same way about "always broke" :)

oh.. btw, spend a couple extra bucks and get the 512mb version. it will give you some more options, such as running higher res textures in oblivion for even better image quality. seee this thread for details:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67586

Graham_h said:

it does run cooler and it is quieter. it's also not quite as fast and does not support some features offered by ati. as i stated earlier, it's a bit of a tradeoff, and what's "best" comes down to what's most important to the person buying it.

.. and my XT core can run over 700mhz w/o any mods to void the warranty (dunno the ceiling tho, haven't felt a need to push it further).

you might want to check out this in depth review. graphics card review
I'm no expert but it seems according to the results on that review the Geforce 7900 gt xxx is the best bang for your buck.

mxrider131 said:
I'm no expert but it seems according to the results on that review the Geforce 7900 gt xxx is the best bang for your buck.

:( I wish all reviews would do 1680x1050 and up.

Is that 7900GT, the one at newegg for $315 ? I dont understand though, theyre doing the dollars for perfomance thing but the x1800xt is valued at $500 ?

mxrider131 said:

That doesn't prove anything because they have the X1800XT at it's price last year.

CaiNaM said:
i'm sure you'll be happy with it. and i think most of us here feel the same way about "always broke" :)

oh.. btw, spend a couple extra bucks and get the 512mb version.

I'm going to, I can't pass up double the RAM for $30 extra.

Newegg has a number of models (sapphire) that as far as I can tell are identical in feature set yet have different model # and prices - anyone know how they differ ?

100134L vs 100134 vs 100134SR (all 512mb version)
100154 vs 100154rs vs 100154L (all 256mb version)

the plain ones are oem but the two retails seem to be the same card with same package ?

Makes me glad that I bought that Sapphire X1800XT from NewEgg to upgrade from my X800XL last week:)

Back