• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X1600XT vs 6800GS 2D Image quality

EriX

n00b
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
6
I just upgraded to a ASUS A8N-E, AMD3700+ san deiago, Sapphire X1600XT, 2x512 3200 crucial, hiper 480W PSU. Rest of box: soundblaster Live!Value, 2 pioneer DVD-R drives, 80gb maxtor, 160Gb Seagate & 200Gb Seagate SATA.

I am having endless problems with the new gfx card & mobo combo. Any attempt to run a full screen 3d app will lock or bsod or reboot within about 10secs of starting it. Q4, HL2, 3DMark05.

I've tried a ton of stuff all without success, so I've reached the point where I am thinking of RMA'ing the gfx card in exchange for a 6800GS.

Question is: I run 2 22" NEC diamondtron CRTs, the X1600XT gives me a superbly sharp display on both screens (one on the DVI dongle). If I change to a 6800GS can I expect the same quality? When I was running the second screen on a PCI9250 before the x1600 with a 8500 running the primary I could see a big difference between the two with the 9250 giving an unsatifactory soft display in comparison to the sharp 8500.

I'm not looking to start too much of ATI vs Nvidia here, just would like to know if I'll be happy with the 2D side of the 6800. All research points towards similar 3D performance so that is fine.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to solve my current problem with the x1600 & A8N-E board then I'd be very grateful. For full details of the processes I've been through please see this thread @ bit-tech.net

Thanks

Erix
 
well from what i know ati has always had better image quality i dont have two cards on hand to compare but thats what i think, if there is a difference it wont be that great
 
between a 9600 pro, x850xt pe, x800xt, 6800GT, x300, x600, PCX5300, and 7800GT, i havent been able to tell a lick of difference.

id say anything newer than a 9500/9700 or FX series card will be fine for 2d. its really odd that the 9250 gave sub-par IQ compared to the 8500, as they are basically the same card... with the 9250 being slower, but still a DX8 part based on the 8500 GPU. i guess the 9250's RAMDACs could have been of lower quality...

that being said, when i go back to a GF2, r7k, or even my quadro4 900XGL, i can tell a bit of difference between them and my newer cards. my laptop's display also looks a little washed out now that i really look at it... lol. s3 supersavage in that thing.
 
I haven't noticed a difference between integrated graphics, GF2, 5800, 9600, 9800 Pro, 6800GT, x800xtpe, or the 7800 GT as far as 2D.
 
thanks for the feedback, by the sounds of it I should be OK in IQ terms with a 6800.

The 6800 will run 2 CRTs at the same time I'm presuming.

Erix
 
EriX said:
thanks for the feedback, by the sounds of it I should be OK in IQ terms with a 6800.

The 6800 will run 2 CRTs at the same time I'm presuming.

Erix

If you have 2 ports on the back of the card you order..
 
No you wont. ATI's X1000 series has SUPERIOR image quality in 2D mode far better than any 7800 or 6800 series card. Both 6800 and 7800 series use the same 2D engine, and ATi's newly designed from scratch 2D engine on the X1000 series is AWESOME. Even the BIOS is more crisp than any previous gen. of cards.

Being a 2D nvidia fan myself, moving to the new X1000 series is a 2D dream.
 
Some people can tell a big difference, but it seems a lot of people can't.

Depends on how sensitive you are to it (and wether you have a good monitor :D)
 
I've heard from some very eagle-eyed people that there is a major difference between ATI and nVidia cards in 2D, saying that ATI is better for 2D and video. I haven't really noticed much of a difference, but then again my eyesight is crap.
 
You will be fine with the GS. Most of them have dual ports to support 2 monitors.
 
Image quality in BIOS ? OK, now I've heard everything.

Dillusion, if you can see a difference in 2d video quality/clarify etc at VGA resoluton of like 320x240 then you need to go get a job at NASA or something.. because you are obviously a far more evolved human being than the rest of us.

1000
 
1000 said:
Image quality in BIOS ? OK, now I've heard everything.

Dillusion, if you can see a difference in 2d video quality/clarify etc at VGA resoluton of like 320x240 then you need to go get a job at NASA or something.. because you are obviously a far more evolved human being than the rest of us.

1000

Well, while I agree seeing a difference in the BIOS is a little weird (after all, the BIOS uses built-in legacy drivers just to display, so whether or not it was ATI or nVidia would be uneffected), it should also be noted that it's at lower resolutions that the human eye can tell more of a difference in image quality... because the image is bigger.
 
I don't know, I've had all kinds of ati and nv cards and ati IMO comes in ever so slightly in 2D but it wasn't a WOW type of thing. I think you'll be fine with your gs solution. GL.
 
thanks for the responses. By the look of things I should be ok with the IQ from the GS. If im not happy I'm a bit stuck when the x1600 wont work properly!

New card will be here on Thursday, will feedback on its IQ

Thanks for the help

Erix
 
Back
Top