x1000/zt3000 or m505xl

PhreakPhy

Limp Gawd
Ok iv narrowed it down to these two. I am looking for portability including battery life, and a relativly light weight for what I am geting. Battery life is a larger priority. The m505 has the 9600, but is limited to the 1.5 pentium M, where with the x1000 i can get 1.7. What are your opinions on these computers? Build quality is also an important factor. They age going to be going to college with me.

I personally avoid HP/Compaq for anything. I've had really bad experiences with their laptops and desktops too many times. Oh, and there was a thing on here about an exploding (literally) Compaq laptop, and HP/Compaq is in trouble for lying about what video card they're including on their laptops (it isn't the Radeon 9200...) Buyer beware, there... I'd get the Gateway, or look some more.

Get the x***/zt***. IMHO those 505's from Gateway feel like cheap plastic where as the x/zt series is pretty darn solid. Of course I'm biased, I own an x1010.

A262

I like both of these laptops and have recommended both to people depending on their requirements. I like the keyboard feel better on the X1000/zt3000. For some purposes, the available WSXGA+ screen on the X1000/zt3000 can also be an advantage. In terms of build quality and reliability, I'd have to give the nod to the Gateway M505. The case of the M505 seems more solidly constructed. Also, the sound quality, screen brightness and screen viewing angle are better on the M505. When it comes to gaming performance or performance on other graphics-intensive applications, there is no contest. The M505 wins hands down. In 3D benchmarks, in fact, the 1.4 GHz M505X ties the performance of the 1.7GHz HP nc8000 with ATI 9600. See the third post by rinthos in this thread for confirmation.

If you decide to go with the Gateway M505, you may be interested in knowing that Office Depot is offering a $200 mail in rebate on the M505X through 1/24 (tomorrow). Gateway is now offering a $100 discount on the M505X also. Gateway offers a further 10% discount to AAA members.

Back