X-Fire X1900XTX, 8800GTX or something else?

Buztafen

Limp Gawd
Mornin all,

I have the system in my sig which is shortly being upgraded with a Q6600, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 Mobo, and 4gb DDR2 (not sure which yet...).

Ive got a X1900XTX which has served me well for over 3 years, ive also acquired a 8800GTX which may be faulty/not working to its full potential. The GTX is in my current sig comp seems fine (higher benchmarks though the P4 is bottlenecking it) but with the Mobo upgrade above, Crossfire becomes an option.

So heres my question, for a cost/performance effective upgrade, whats the best route? Ive been out of the VGA game for a while so ive only a little general knowledge of the current cards.

1) Should i get a relatively cheap X1900XTX CF card for X-Fire?

2) Continue using the 8800GTX until it breaks as its possibly just as good?

3) Sell both and upgrade to something like a 4850/4870 which the option of X-fire later on?

I will be playing games my setup can handle (currently Supreme Commander, Crysis, Stalker though on low settings etc) and im looking forward to Diablo 3 and Farcry 2. I also want to output HD from a Bluray/HD drive which my current setup can barely handle.

The screen i will be using is a 50" Panasonic Plasma.

Also not sure what RAM to go for with the upgrade, i will be giving overclocking a try. Heard good things about G.Skill memory.....

Any suggestions? Cheers.:p

I'd probably sell both and put the money towards a 4870. It'll be faster than your current cards and is able to send an HDMI signal to your TV.

I'd probably sell both and put the money towards a 4870. It'll be faster than your current cards and is able to send an HDMI signal to your TV.

Cheers for the post, thats what i was leaning towards though it'll be a month or so down the line after the current upgrade.

Can you suggest some good RAM for my setup?

Thanks again for any help.

Unfortunately, I'm at the same spot you are in terms of RAM upgrades. Perhaps try a post in the memory sub-forum?

I would just look for a decent deal on ram. I've seen 2x2gb corsair DDR2800 sets for around 55 bucks after rebate. That's about what I'm using and couldn't be happier. Well, maybe I could, but not much.

crossfiring the x1900's will probably just get the same performance as the 8800gtx , so just buy a newer card.

Crossfiring the X1900XTX won't come close to the 8800GTX.

I vote sell both and get a 4850 with a non-stock cooler on it, the bang-for-your-buck card and still is badass for gaming.

Back