X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Optical Out?

acameron_56

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone, I wanted to connect my computer to my home theater, via the optical out on my x-fi xtreme gamer. I have noticed though that the optical out on the soundcard does not have the rectangular shutter that all my other optical jacks have, including my receiver. So how am I supposed to connect them?

Cheers

Via the FlexiJack:

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/x-fi/faq/

The Sound Blaster X-Fi series has a FlexiJack, which serves both as a Mic In/ Line In, and as a Digital I/O connection. The FlexiJack configuration can be changed in the software. Changing this setting will vary depending upon the mode you are using the card in - Audio Creation Mode, Entertainment Mode, or Game Mode.

You'll need to get an optical mini to toslink cable. The mini end will look similar to an analog audio plug (but not exactly like it) and the toslink is the plug that you're talking about that goes into the port with the tiny door.

I just found out how to change the settings on the flexijack.I can now honestly say this card was worth the money. Got it hooked up to my xbox spherex 5.1 system.

Thanks for the replies :), but I was reading that the x-fi won't transmit 5.1 sound through the optical cable...is this true? My main reason for wanting to do this was to play guitar hero on my home theatre's 5.1 so if it doesn't I guess I'll just have to connect through analog cables?

Thanks for the replies :), but I was reading that the x-fi won't transmit 5.1 sound through the optical cable...is this true? My main reason for wanting to do this was to play guitar hero on my home theatre's 5.1 so if it doesn't I guess I'll just have to connect through analog cables?

You are correct. You need analog cables for 5.1 on X-fi. Optical will only give you stereo.

The Auzentech Prelude will do 5.1 through optical because it is able to convert the sound to Dolby Digital Live.

Indeed, no longer fatiguing at all!

Much warmer, and the soundstage really opened up.

Sorry to hijack thread, but the same issue arises for me - I bought the mini-toslink to toslink adapter, or whatever its called, and it works on a Mac's digital output mechanism but on the X-Fi it does nothing.
How do I make it work?

the mini toslink is for the xtremegamer only(just to be sure). other x-fis use digital but not of the optical sort. the x-fi should have a glowing red light coming from the output. it works fine for me- i just got the mini toslink adapter a few days ago- its always on- just plug it in and it works

it's an XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series, and it's not working for some reason.

the fatal1ty version does NOT have an optical out- only the regular xtremegamer does. all the other x-fis have a digital out spdif style- a regulare 1/8 jack to rca style gives u digital out. if u need optical u have to get the digital i/o module
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=16&product=1780

Here's an article I found: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/546and it seems to contradict itself. Above the chart it says use mini tolink for xtremegamer but then the chart shows no optical for xtremegamer or fatality xtremegamer either.

I would like to know the answer to this as well. I read somewhere else that for fatality you need mono 1/8 jack to rca adapter which gives you coax spdif. And then you can use DD Live for 5.1 in games. You have to download the DD Live driver and then activate it. But all that is unclear as well.

Marc

Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer and Digital Speaker Systems

Note: You will not receive surround sound from speakers connected to a sound card using a digital connection unless the signal being output is a DTS or an AC3 encoded signal and is being decoded by the speakers or home theater system.

To connect your digital speakers to the X-Fi XtremeMusic, the speaker system must have a coaxial Digital In jack. An RCA-to-miniplug cable is connected to the FlexiJack on the back of the sound card. An RCA-to-RCA cable is then conected to the speaker system and to the RCA-to-miniplug cable.

Device/Cable
1. FlexiJack
2. RCA-to-miniplug cable (available separately)
3. RCA-to-RCA cable (available separately)
4. Digital In jack

Back