• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X-Fi worth the upgrade?

Lyrids

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
320
I have a Sound Blaster Audigy and Logitech Z-5300's. I know that neither of those components are top-notch pieces of electronics, which is why I'm wondering if I'll notice a substantial difference if I swap the Audigy for an X-Fi. I know my speakers won't be able to take full advantage of the features the X-Fi has to offer, but would the upgrade be worthwhile?
 
One factor to take into consideration is which games you are playing. X-Fi supports the new EAX 5.0 format. If you have the original Audigy, it means your card supports up to EAX 3.0.
 
I play a lot of BF2 which is what actually got me interested in the X-Fi in the first place. Other than that, once I get my RMA for my motherboard through I'll be playing a lot of Oblivion too.

While we're on the topic of audio, I have this peevish problem with my speakers I'd like to address. When listening to music (haven't really tested it with games but haven't noticed it) the front speakers are distinctly louder than the rear speakers. I've filed through the driver options and iTunes options but haven't found a source to this problem.
 
If you use headphones with BF2 the X-Fi is definitely worth it. Sound is much more detailed both in imaging and the number of sounds you can hear. It was a night and day difference coming from an SB Live and got me several FPS too.
 
Lyrids said:
I play a lot of BF2 which is what actually got me interested in the X-Fi in the first place. Other than that, once I get my RMA for my motherboard through I'll be playing a lot of Oblivion too.

While we're on the topic of audio, I have this peevish problem with my speakers I'd like to address. When listening to music (haven't really tested it with games but haven't noticed it) the front speakers are distinctly louder than the rear speakers. I've filed through the driver options and iTunes options but haven't found a source to this problem.

Download the new Creative Drivers, and run the Speaker Calibration wizard. It's a must for surround sound. It can be slightly confusing, and took me several runs before I figured it out (especially when adjusting Volume Low Frequencies and Volume High Frequencies, it's hard to tell what the sliders are doing, unless you run a 3d game that has surround sound in windowed mode. I had to run a game, and rotate the camera while standing next to a sound-creating object until it sounded right).

When I first got my 5.1 speakers, they sounded terribly unbalanced, because the rear speakers are wayyyy in the back corners of the room, so the calibration wizard (in advanced mode) was a tremendous help, and now every speaker sounds nearly identical when I turn around in games, and listen to a single sound in each speaker.

Before, I could hardly hear the rear speakers. And then, when I ran the calibration wizard the first few times, rear-speaker sounds were insanely bassy. Finally, I figured out that what I had to do was:

1: Raise Rear Speaker Volume (my setup has them in the way back of the room)
2: Increase Rear Speaker High Frequency Volume vs. Front Speakers
3: Bring Bass around 50% to Front Speakers, to prevent over-bassy rear-sounds, due to higher rear-speaker volume.
 
I would get it just because of the EAX 5 hands down, comes with and lovely front deck and a remote control. Good luck.
 
Dario D. said:
Download the new Creative Drivers, and run the Speaker Calibration wizard. It's a must for surround sound. It can be slightly confusing, and took me several runs before I figured it out (especially when adjusting Volume Low Frequencies and Volume High Frequencies, it's hard to tell what the sliders are doing, unless you run a 3d game that has surround sound in windowed mode. I had to run a game, and rotate the camera while standing next to a sound-creating object until it sounded right).

When I first got my 5.1 speakers, they sounded terribly unbalanced, because the rear speakers are wayyyy in the back corners of the room, so the calibration wizard (in advanced mode) was a tremendous help, and now every speaker sounds nearly identical when I turn around in games, and listen to a single sound in each speaker.

Before, I could hardly hear the rear speakers. And then, when I ran the calibration wizard the first few times, rear-speaker sounds were insanely bassy. Finally, I figured out that what I had to do was:

1: Raise Rear Speaker Volume (my setup has them in the way back of the room)
2: Increase Rear Speaker High Frequency Volume vs. Front Speakers
3: Bring Bass around 50% to Front Speakers, to prevent over-bassy rear-sounds, due to higher rear-speaker volume.

What drivers are you talking about? When I go to Creative and try to download drivers, the newest drivers it lists for my card are from January. Could you maybe point me in the direction of what you're referring to?
 
I used to own an X-Fi, but I'm not a gamer like yourself. I was using it for music...which it did pretty well at, but I wanted a card that was dedicated to recording, so I bought an M-Audio Audiophile 2496. I am pleased with the card. It sounds just as good, if not better than the X-Fi for music and it is more versatile....but it probably wouldn't be that great for games.

Lyquist
 
Back
Top