Does Windows Vista automatically detect whether you have audio cables plugged into your speakers or not?
Reason for asking is this. Last night, I was installing Hell's Highway in order to play it. All of a sudden, sound wouldn't work. I thought it was because the install somehow screwed with the drivers. So I did everything in the book: driver uninstall-reinstalls, different driver versions, system restores, everything. Sound wouldn't work! The way I could tell that it was some sort of software problem was because whenever I tried to play anything using Winamp or WMP, the content would not play. Any game would just sit there silently.
So just out of chance, to make sure everything was plugged in right (why wouldn't it be?
), I started fiddling (only moving the cables, I didn't unplug anything) with the sound cables in the back, and, lo and behold, the audio started working! So I played with the cable ends, around the wire areas right before the jack, and it caused the audio to stutter! I was actually able to reproduce the scenario, but I'm still not sure if it's a software problem or maybe the cables going bad?

Any ideas?
Reason for asking is this. Last night, I was installing Hell's Highway in order to play it. All of a sudden, sound wouldn't work. I thought it was because the install somehow screwed with the drivers. So I did everything in the book: driver uninstall-reinstalls, different driver versions, system restores, everything. Sound wouldn't work! The way I could tell that it was some sort of software problem was because whenever I tried to play anything using Winamp or WMP, the content would not play. Any game would just sit there silently.
So just out of chance, to make sure everything was plugged in right (why wouldn't it be?
Any ideas?