X-fi tying up CPU?

jenkins

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
340
I've heard various reports on newegg stating that the X-fi is killing CPU usage on some computers. Can anyone confirm / deny this? I'm still running on onboard audio and I'd love to get off it. Thanks!

-jenkins
 
I've never personally experienced it and I've used it with both dual core and single core. I've played most of the games out there too....

Gothic 3/BF2/2142/oblivion/fear/etc.

Didn't notice any killer usage during TV tuning or movie/music playback either.
 
Went from onboard sound to X-Fi Xtrememusic, and find no increase in CPU. There should be a small decrease in CPU as the sound processing is done in the hardware card, although can't say that I notice the decrease.
 
MrFace said:
The low end card is not pure hardware, if I remember correctly.
The 'Extreme Music' is the lowest X-Fi that still has all the hardware. If you find one cheaper than that, I think called 'Extreme Gamer' or something then that's the one that's not got all the proper X-Fi hardware in it.
 
The 'Extreme Music' is the lowest X-Fi that still has all the hardware. If you find one cheaper than that, I think called 'Extreme Gamer' or something then that's the one that's not got all the proper X-Fi hardware in it.

The XtremeGamer still has a CA20K1 chip but they stripped software capabilities like built-in DD/DTS decoding and MLP playback. OTOH it supports the 10-pin front panel header.

The XtremeAudio is a rebadged Audigy LS with no EAX5 support.

Bottom line Xtreme Music is still the best deal.
 
Back
Top