X-Fi Titanium, Vista x64: Audio device not detected

GenBanks

Gawd
I can't use the Creative Audio Console, or any other Creative applications that I installed from the driver CD. There is sound, however.

I either get the message "Audio device supported by this application is not detected" or "The current selected audio device is not supported. Would you like to select another now?" when I click on one of the Creative applications like . Just now I also got "Creative Audio Device Selection module cannot be launched. The module may be missing from your system" even though I just installed it.

I had a Xfi fatality FPS before. I uninstalled everything and then used Driver Sweeper to remove the old drivers, then I installed everything from the CD that came with the X-Fi titanium.

Oh, and when I select EAX 4.0 in Civilization IV I get no sound, even though I have enabled Civ IV in the ALchemy program.

(I'm seriously thinking that I will send this back and get a Xonar DX... I bought it thinking that some of the Creative x64 issues had been ironed out. That'll teach me for being an optimist lol)

Hey Gen,

For different reasons I've reinstalled this card several times (it turned out my motherboard was overclocking my already factory overclocked video cards, causing BSODs frequently.)

But during that process I noticed that ONE time it installed all the software but had the same error messages you are seeing.

I resolved this by going into Device Manager - and saw that there was an X-Fi device listed, but 'disabled.'

Enable this - let it get detected - then when that is done, restart.

You should have full functionality at that point.

Hope that works for you!

Hey, thanks for your reply.
In the device manager, under "Sound, Video and Game controllers" there are two entries for "High Definition Audio Device" and one for my webcam.
Is this what you have listed in that section? Or should it say 'X-Fi'? I can't remember what it said with my previous card.

However, I just found a reference to this same problem in a review of the X-Fi titanium: http://www.gamingshogun.com/Article/1831/Sound_Blaster_X-Fi_Titanium_Fatal1ty_Review.html
They said that they just reinstalled the stuff and it was detected the second time.
I'll give this a try tomorrow and hopefully everything will work properly the second time :)

I'm still curious why Civ IV EAX 4.0 doesn't work with Alchemy though, I had the same problem with my previous X-Fi. It might be to do with the fact that I have the steam version of Civ IV, but I've tried directing it to the correct folder and I still had no sound when EAX 4 is selected.

It should say Creative SB X-Fi under Sound, video, and game controllers.

I'd give a reinstall (or repair install) a try and see if that fixes it.

You're probably not getting EAX or ALchemy to work properly because the drivers haven't been registered or installed properly; once they're on your system correctly you should be OK.

I've played Oblivion, Myth 3, Warcraft 3, FEAR, and Half-Life 2 ok so far with no issues.

But the drivers, for whatever reason, don't 'hook' occasionally; you either get it installed correctly, or you get it installed but with the Creative SB X-Fi device disabled (and the card continues to use the MS HD Audio Device), or you get what you appear to have - the Creative SB X-Fi device doesn't even show up in Device Manager, and instead it keeps using the MS HD Audio device.

Oh, BTW - before you reinstall - check under System Devices, the Creative SB X-Fi entry, if it is disabled, MIGHT be under there. If its not there either, just do a repair or reinstall.

I've read of a few users with the same issue on the Creative forum - the installer needs some bugs worked out. But once you get it up and running its a pretty nice card.

Once we get your drivers installed correctly we can troubleshoot game issues - if you have any. Troubleshooting ALchemy / EAX game issues is a minor hobby of mine.

Yesterday I reinstalled everything from the X-Fi driver CD and everything is working now :D

Civ IV now has sound when EAX 4.0 is enabled, although sometimes there is a bug that causes the background music to sound all garbled. It goes away once the next song starts to play though.
*edit* I forgot to mention, I also get the BSOD every time I quit to desktop in Civ IV, although that might be an issue with the graphics card... I need to investigate that further.

By the way, I know I had to enable Dolby Digital using my product registration key... Does that only work when watching a film with PowerDVD and my speakers connected to the X-Fi with a digital Optical cable? Will I still be able to get the surround sound DD/DTS effects in PowerDVD if my speakers are connected using the '6 Ch Direct' connection, plugged into the three colour-coded connections at the back of the X-Fi? Like I said, I'm using the Z-5500 5.1 speakers.

Oh, and a separate question: I have a headset that I'd like to use for Skype and during clan matches for Team Fortress 2... Is there a way to have this plugged into the soundcard that doesn't require me to unplug my speakers? Using my USB web cam for voice chat does give me very good quality.
Or maybe I should just use a standalone mic? Are there any that can be recommended?

Dolby Digital and DTS are just means of encoding multi-channel audio into a digital format that can be passed on via an optical or digital coax cable.

Some sources, like some DVDs, have dolby digital or DTS multi-channel audio available; in this case PowerDVD will decode that multi-channel data and pass it on to you via your 6 channel analog connection.

The dolby digital live would only come into play if you were using an optical connection; it would encode all audio into the dolby digital 5.1 format and pass that via optical to your speakers. In this scenario dolby digital isn't 'adding' anything; normally you can only pass stereo sound via digital, but dolby digital allows you to get 5.1 channels.

The choice to use an optical connection with this card boils down to two things:

Do you want the speakers/receiver to do the digital-to-analog conversion or the sound card? Both will do digital-to-analog conversion. Personally I did a test listen of some mp3 music using my sound card's DACs vs. the z-5500 DACs, and I found no significant difference in quality. So I'm using analog connection for the reason listed below...

Will you be annoyed by the fact that when using encoded Dolby Digital audio the master windows operating system volume controls will not affect the volume level of sound? (For instance, keyboard volume/mute keys will not function; you will ONLY be able to control volume either via an in-game or in-application volume slider, or at the speakers themselves.)

So I'm using analog. But I do have an optical cable run to my card in case I ever want to switch over; it just takes a few button pushes.

Yesterday I reinstalled everything from the X-Fi driver CD and everything is working now :D

Civ IV now has sound when EAX 4.0 is enabled, although sometimes there is a bug that causes the background music to sound all garbled. It goes away once the next song starts to play though.

Glad its working!

You know, I think I experience this 'garbled' music every now and then too - I don't play Civ 4 but I use windows media player, and occasionally I will start a new album and it will sound stuttery and garbled - but if you restart the application it goes away. I haven't heard this in any of the games I've tried with it, however.

I submitted a bug report to one of the creative people. Who knows how long it will be before they fix it.

Oh, and a separate question: I have a headset that I'd like to use for Skype and during clan matches for Team Fortress 2... Is there a way to have this plugged into the soundcard that doesn't require me to unplug my speakers? Using my USB web cam for voice chat does give me very good quality.
Or maybe I should just use a standalone mic? Are there any that can be recommended?

If you have the front panel thingy, then you can plug it in there. But I'm guessing you don't have it (I don't, either.)

If your headset is an analog device, one option to keep both plugged in is to use some kind of Y adaptor that you plug into your front channel soundcard jack and then plug your speakers and headset into at the same time. This may degrade audio quality, I don't know.

Maybe you can find some kind of switch box (like a KVM switch, but for audio) that will allow you switch between speakers and headset.

Other than that I can't tell you, I don't use a mic or a headset much anymore; when I was big into online gaming I had a headset connected to my front panel, which was pretty handy. But that was on my previous sound card.

You could ask around or check some of the sound company websites, they might have an external I/O box you could use for switching headset / speakers.

Wow, I really appreciate all your replies :D That clears up a lot of stuff, thanks!

I suppose one way of having both plugged in at once would be to use the Digital connection. However, I have my PS3 plugged into the digital slot of the Z5500's, and there's no point in constantly swapping between the PS3 and the X-Fi. I suppose it might be worth finding an I/O panel, although they don't seem to sell the 'Titanium' one separately yet.

I inquired about getting the front panel for the Titanium, but they told me they have no current plans to sell it separately.

You could always hope someone sells it on ebay or something like that. Or look for a 3rd party I/O or switch box.

Apologies for resurrecting an old topic, but I too am experiencing this issue with Windows 7 64 bit.

Everything ran fine for two months. Came home last Friday night and there was no sound.

Under the control panel the Speakers->Creative X-Fi were disabled and SPDIF->Creative X-Fi was the default device.

Enabled the speakers. Sound is back. But, the Creative Console Launcher and all applications would return the "There are no supported audio device available. You ned to close the application. Click OK to close the application now." And for the Audio Control Panel the following: "The audio device supported by this application is not detected. The application will now exit."

I've uninstalled all the creative software. Uninstalled the drivers and ran driver sweeper in safe mode. I reinstall everything on the CD, afterwords I get queried if I would like to run the Creative AutoUpdate. Select yes, and it can't detect the card.

Downloading the Product Identification Module Update allows the AutoUpdate to detect the card. However, the software applications still fail to detect the card. It's able to run the updater for all the software and update to the latest drivers, but the aforementioned errors (Click OK to close the application now." And for the Audio Control Panel the following: "The audio device supported by this application is not detected. The application will now exit.") persist. Creative ALchemy and WaveStudio 7 are fine. Creative Diagnostics also fail to detect to the card as well.

Also had a windows update that was installed after the fact, which has proven to be ineffective:

Creative - Audio - Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)

Installation date: ‎2/‎6/‎2010 11:14 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Optional

Creative Audio software update released in July, 2009

More information:
http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20287402

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

I've searched Creative forums and contacted their technical support with no luck so far. Thanks in advance to anyone who has any advice. Stupid creative drivers argh.

Pullinmg this one up from the grave. Seems after updating to the latest drivers my card started doing the same thing. Was having some odd issues with sound so I decided to make sure the drivers were current with the sound card. My prob is the same as Terameow.

Last Creative card I think I will buy. Been with them for 12 long years.

Greetings Pug71,

I basically gave up on Creative's drivers when they said it was my board's BIOS that needed updating, told them they were updated, (ASUS P6T v2).

I was pretty forlorn with Creative drivers since my post date until August. On a lark I updated the drivers and the card was recognized (to the software); I'm using this driver version: 6.0.1.1348.

I didn't need to reseat the card, although I did have their product ID module installed still. Anywho, here's the email in case future [H] readers find it useful:

Thank you for replying to Creative Labs and we appreciate your feedback.

From the serial number that you have provided, it shows that you have a
PCI Express X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro card.

Please note that when installing PCI Express X-Fi Titanium in Windows 7,
please do not use the CD as it is not compatible with Windows 7.

As a workaround, please completely uninstall previous drivers and
applications by following the link below:

http://support.creative.com/kb/showarticle.aspx?sid=65687
Title: Uninstalling Sound Blaster Drivers and Applications(Windows
Vista)

This article should work with Windows 7 as well.

Once uninstalled, download the drivers from our website and install. If
there is an onboard audio on your PC's motherboard, it is recommended
that you disable onboard audio to prevent any conflicts it may cause
with the Sound Blaster device. For specific steps on how to disable
onboard audio on your PC, please contact the motherboard manufacturer or
consult the motherboard's documentation.

It is strongly recommended that you move the card to a different PCIe
slot, especially if it is currently installed next to a graphics card.

You can also reseat the card to ensure that the card is firmly seated in
the slot.

Make sure you have installed the latest updates for your computer
especially the chipset drivers for your motherboard. An update of BIOS
is also recommended.The BIOS and chipset drivers are responsible for
communications between the basic hardware components and therefore it
should always be updated for a stable system performance. You can
download the updated drivers for the chipset in your motherboard from
the
manufacturer.

Make sure also that you have installed the latest updates for your
operating system from the Microsoft website.

The drivers and application for Windows 7 for PCI Express X-Fi Titanium
can be found on the link below. Please download and install:

1. Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Driver 2.17.0007

http://support.creative.com/Downloads/searchdownloads.aspx?strString=XFTI_PCDRV_
LB_2_17_0007.exe&ShowDetails=1

2. Creative Console Launcher 2.61.35

http://support.creative.com/Downloads/searchdownloads.aspx?strString=CSL_PCAPP_L
B_2_61_35.exe&ShowDetails=1

Hope this helps.

One way to test if the soundcard is faulty is to connect it to a
computer with either of the following system:

Microsoft® Windows Vista® with Service Pack 1 or Windows® XP (x64,
Service Pack 2 or Media Center Edition 2004)

We apologize for the inconvenience caused. Thank you for your patience
and understanding on this matter.

Creative is working constantly on updates for Windows 7 users who are
using Creative products. These updates will be delivered from time to
time on our website. In the meantime, we encourage you to often visit
our support site, http://support.creative.com/ and forum page,
http://forums.creative.com/
for product updates and announcements.

If you still require assistance, please reply to this email with any
previous correspondence to ensure the quickest and most accurate
service.

Best Regards ,

Jessica
Technical Support
Creative Labs Americas

Same problem here. I decided to grab X-FI Fatality with a panel for $100. I did not uninstall my old drivers (x-Fi xtreme gamer). The card gets detected as high definition audio device, console does not work etc... Daniel K drivers do get installed but still no consoleI have got sound but nothing else. A bit pissed since I am going to have wast a lot of time fixing the issue.

Which drivers and console version should I use? I am running Windows 7 64. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Same problem here. I decided to grab X-FI Fatality with a panel for $100. I did not uninstall my old drivers (x-Fi xtreme gamer). The card gets detected as high definition audio device, console does not work etc... Daniel K drivers do get installed but still no consoleI have got sound but nothing else. A bit pissed since I am going to have wast a lot of time fixing the issue.

Which drivers and console version should I use? I am running Windows 7 64. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Is the Fatality card your are using a PCI or a PCI-E version? The PCI-E drivers are different then the PCI drivers.

In any case I would uninstall all creative drivers and start from scratch. Make sure you are using the latest drivers from Creative's web site as they are way better than the ones that came on the CD.

Is the Fatality card your are using a PCI or a PCI-E version? The PCI-E drivers are different then the PCI drivers.

In any case I would uninstall all creative drivers and start from scratch. Make sure you are using the latest drivers from Creative's web site as they are way better than the ones that came on the CD.

Hey,

I am using PCI-E. I used drive sweeper. I installed the drivers but cannot see the card. Windows keeps installing that stupid high definition audio device. I disabled it and tried to update the driver manually but no luck. I do not see my X-FI in the device manager.

I just read this revie and it seems every crd gets detected as High Definition...

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/10/25/sound_blaster_xfi_titanium_hd_card_review/3

Hey,

I am using PCI-E. I used drive sweeper. I installed the drivers but cannot see the card. Windows keeps installing that stupid high definition audio device. I disabled it and tried to update the driver manually but no luck. I do not see my X-FI in the device manager.

I just read this revie and it seems every crd gets detected as High Definition...

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/10/25/sound_blaster_xfi_titanium_hd_card_review/3

Hopefully this link works.
http://support.creative.com/Product...SET=prodfaq:PRODFAQ_17813,VARSET=CategoryID:1

Install the identification module before the drivers.

Install the latest drivers and utilities you need from that link.
Uninstall any and all creative drivers beforhand. You really shouldn't need to use driver sweeper.

Do you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard?

What about the latest chipset drivers?

If it keeps telling you that there is no Creative card installed, you may have gotten a faulty card... or windows is screwed up.

You may also want to try resetting your BIOS and see if that fixes it.

Hopefully this link works.
http://support.creative.com/Product...SET=prodfaq:PRODFAQ_17813,VARSET=CategoryID:1

Install the identification module before the drivers.

Install the latest drivers and utilities you need from that link.
Uninstall any and all creative drivers beforhand. You really shouldn't need to use driver sweeper.

Do you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard?

What about the latest chipset drivers?

If it keeps telling you that there is no Creative card installed, you may have gotten a faulty card... or windows is screwed up.

You may also want to try resetting your BIOS and see if that fixes it.

Thank you for your help. I fixed it. It turns out I had to download X-Fi update via Windows update. It still does not work on my gaming drive but i was able to install the card on my work SSD drive. Without applying the update it was impossible to detect the card. What a pain!

Back