X-fi Titanium Issues

Hi,

My x-fi (nearly now 4 years old), had been working flawlessly since purchase, but recently, when I swapped in new speakers (KANTO YU5), I get very very low volume coming out of the RCA outs on the card. Line out works fine however. I checked the leads, and switched cables and no luck.

I even tried splitting the 3.5MM into an rca output to check if it was the YU5 screwing up and it played that input just fine.

Any software settings I need to check? Any trouble shooting tips you guys have? It's been a while since I dove into the painful world of creative trouble shooting.

Thanks
--

Do you have the latest drivers for your card?

What speakers were you using before?

I don't think creative have issued a new driver for the card in a couple years, ill check. I had creative T40's, but they were running off the 3.5mm.

Are the RCA outputs speaker level outputs?

From what I could find about this card, the RCA jacks are LINE LEVEL outputs.

so that means a pre-amp is going to be needed with a setup that doesn't have LINE LEVEL inputs.

RCA jacks are line-level outputs, correct. The speakers OP listed are powered speakers so that should not be a problem however.

Using the 3.5mm jack on this card is stupid. The RCA jacks use a very high quality DAC, one that is on-par with the one used in the newest Sound Blaster ZxR. The 3.5mm jack uses a completely separate, inferior DAC that is nothing special. If you can't get the RCA outputs to work, I would try using the optical input that the speakers have instead of using the 3.5mm jack. Using the Optical input would mean you would be using the DAC in the speakers instead, which might not be better than the good DAC on the X-Fi Titanium HD's RCA outputs but is almost certainly better than the DAC used on the 3.5mm output.

I don't think creative have issued a new driver for the card in a couple years

The newest driver is only about one year old.

http://support.creative.com/Product...19749&prodName=Sound+Blaster+X-Fi+Titanium+HD

I would test it with an actual receiver to rule out the card being bad.

My guess is that the speakers are expecting a higher power output than the card is giving through the RCA jacks.

Thanks for the input guys, i installed the latest driver and unfortunatley no luck. When I max oout my speakers volume, i can faintly hear audio from one of the speakers. I hooked up my wii/ps2 to the rca in on the speakers and audio playback was fine ruling out a potential fault in the speakers. Looks like my card's out puts are broken. sucks, as i don't think there is a good replacement for the x-fi anymore is there?

Back