X-Fi SPDIF

gvlada

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 3, 2006
Messages
114
I have X-Fi Xtreme Music and through analog conection sounds extra, but I don't know when using a digital out (coax) does it sends only raw material or with it's own effects, like cmss or 24-bit crystalizer? Can I use those effects with spdif or it have to be with analog connection?
 
gvlada said:
I have X-Fi Xtreme Music and through analog conection sounds extra, but I don't know when using a digital out (coax) does it sends only raw material or with it's own effects, like cmss or 24-bit crystalizer? Can I use those effects with spdif or it have to be with analog connection?

The sound is with effects but you can only get a stereo sound using spdif.
 
Ok, sound with effects but only stereo, if I pass it through to av receiver with built-in decoders like Dolby Digital, ProLogic IIx, DTS etc. should it sound better with those effects on DPLIIx then DPLIIx without them? Would I hear the difference of 24-bit Crystalizer through spdif?
 
You will hear a difference with Crystalizer and without, whether it sounds good or not is really subjective, you should try whether you like it or not. I personally doesn't like effects especially too much effects but sometimes small amount of effects can help to overcome your speaker's weak points.
 
You won't get the X-Fi effects known as cmss and 24-bit crystalizer via the digital cable l/O. Those effects are processed in the card and sent out the analog connection ONLY!

You will, however, get a nice sound (music) with the digital l/O using the DD Pro Logic II effect in your receiver. That effect is similar to the cmss effect-- upmixing of 2 channel to surround.

I toggle back and forth between the Coax input and the 6 Channel Direct (analog) inputs with the press of a button in the receiver/control of my Z5500 digital speakers. I tend to prefer the former for music, and the latter for games.
 
That is only true when you are using the bit matched output feature. If you disable the feature, you can still get the effects using SPDIF, but the sound is only from two front speakers.
 
You mean: in control panel select audio console then bit-matched and it should not be selected so I can use 24-bit crystalizer through spdif? Then on external decoder I choose Dolby ProLogic II and I can hear mp3 from my pc with 24-bit crystalizer effect through all 5.1 speakers, right? This is the same for divx right?
 
gvlada said:
You mean: in control panel select audio console then bit-matched and it should not be selected so I can use 24-bit crystalizer through spdif? Then on external decoder I choose Dolby ProLogic II and I can hear mp3 from my pc with 24-bit crystalizer effect through all 5.1 speakers, right? This is the same for divx right?

Yes it should not be enabled if you want the effects. When using Pro Logic you will get a sound through all speakers, but the sound is just a stereo sound that have been upmix to 5.1 speaker, not a true surround.
 
I know it is only stereo but I want that feature only for mp3 and divx which should be fine like that. Point is I want analogue connection from X-Fi to speaker arround my pc and spdif out to av receiver so I can play mp3 with the effects or watch a better sound divx movie on my tv.
 
Some movies have a surround track so it is better to use analogue. I don't recommend using CMSS3D together with prologic but I think that Crystalizer with pro logic shouldn't be a problem.
 
You might be right for cmss and ProLogicII but so far any multichannel movie I had (dvd or divx) was in ac3, with spdif pass-through external DolbyDigital decoder should handle it quite well.
 
Since you have a 5.1 system, forget about the X-FI effects (cmss and crystalizer) when using the Digital l/O to your receiver. In DVDs with DD surround sound, you will get a discrete 5-channel sound; same for Divx having AC3. In MP3 music, the DD ProLogic effect will serve you well; but if you just love that crystalizer, then switch to your analog connection.
 
Now you want to say that even with disabled bith match I wont get effects through spdif?
 
You will get the effects through spdif, I've tested it. I'm using X-Fi's spdif output to my X-Meridian spdif input to get a better sound from my headphones and I still can use EAX, CMSS3D and crystalizer on my X-Fi, I can hear the difference when each feature is enabled. The effects wouldn't work with DD/DTS passthrough however.
 
Who gives better sound for divx movies and mp3 X-Fi Xtreme Music or Logitech Z-5500 Dolby ProLogic II decoder? What I mean is analog connection from sound card to speakers or spdif from sound card to ext decoder (24-bit Crystalizer would be either way present, at least you told me that).
 
For me with my Z-5400, I think that the decoder is better but just by a little margin.
 
I find, arguably, the decoder on my Z5500 to be a tad bit better; but, its funny, as I can hardly tell the difference with a lot of effort trying. Sometimes it seems to depend upon the type of music I'm listening too-- the difference is that subtle. As I said before, I keep both connections (analog and coax) hooked up simultaniously, and then simply toggle back and forth by using the Input button on the Z5500 receiver/control pod; no changes are needed to be made in the Audio Console.
 
I want to use X-Fi for two different systems, digital out to Z-5500 for mp3 and divx (also digital out from my dvd player for dvd movies) and analog out to Genius 5.1 wooden just for games and little mp3 while surf the net. Genius will be around my pc and Z-5500 around my tv.
 
Back
Top