x-fi questions

no2censorship

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
393
I'm thinking about buying this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024

1. Will creative's latest vista 64 drivers give me bsods?

2. Does the lack of an emi shield and non-solid caps on the pcb really matter if the dacs aren't used, but rather a receiver hooked up thru optical out? I plan to use this with an A79A-S, and in one of the x16 slots. Is my mb known to have any electrical problems that would cause distortion?
 
1. Impossible to say. Probably not.
2. The EMI shield concept is fairly overrated, so no.
 
My experience with the drivers on Vista64 with a PCI X-Fi Xtrememusic is good. No problems and EAX-HD works just like it did on XP in 2142 and BF2.

Is that a real X-FI that you have linked or is it the fake model that is based off the Audigy 2 chip?
 
The Titanium series is based on a shrunken EMU20K1 chip, so it's a real X-Fi.
 
Basically they're the same. I haven't heard whether or not Creative swapped out a different DAC or has a new heatsink, etc, but it's the same chip. Since you're using optical, that doesn't matter. It's all good, enjoy.
 
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm a bit wary, b/c in the past I've had issues with every x-fi i've used including the prelude.

The issues i had with the prelude and the current drivers, under both vista 64 and winxp were that it would crackle if the wave slider and/or the master volume were set past 50%.

I had a bsod with the fatal1ty pci-e one. That was a few months ago.

I was using optical out the whole time.

The creative cards have a better synth than the windows one, and i listen to a lot of tracks from vg music all the time, so that's really the reason why i want an x-fi. most other pci-e cards out there would be fine, except for the lack of an alt synth. I'm a gamer, but i don't really care about eax, nor extra performance.

I want a pci-e card that has or can use a different synth than the vista 64 one, unless there's another way to get an alternate synth with vista 64 on a non-creative card.

Does anyone know of any winamp plug-ins that replace the sw synth included with vista 64? wingroove was ok, but it doesn't work with vista.

I'm really in a tight position, so any more help would be really appreciated.
 
You can always try the Yamaha SYG20, which is a software synth that plays MIDIs pretty faithfully to how they were heard by composers back in the day. The only trick is finding it.
 
Back
Top