X-Fi problems solved?

MrPatate

Gawd
Joined
Jan 4, 2007
Messages
1,021
Hi,

I'm wondering if all the problems related to X-Fi have been solved? (driver issue, IRQ issues, etc) I've been waiting to buy one since september when i saw all those problem on the net.

If i remember correctly there was one or two version of the X-Fi that didn't have problem at all? Is it true, if so which one?

If it's still too "risky" to buy one, can you suggest another top of the line sound card?
5.1 or more, really good sound quality and optical input/output (both VERY important)

thanks!

p.s. not that i dont want to search for the answer myself, but simply since september, there's a lot of new forum/page about it.. and it's quite hard to tell what has been solved and what not.. so i though i would ask to the "gods of the geeks" :p
 
It depends on alot of things. Mainly the system your running. Certain mobos don't like the cards that much etc. With any add-in card it's crap shoot. You may install it and everything will be fine and maybe not. This is true of most devices, for every person that has a issue there is another one that doesn't. Same thing with graphics cards etc. I would say if you want the card buy it.
 
There are a few separate issues. I don't really know the status of any of them.

However, I think the number of people that have issues are in the minority. Creative has great technologies and good products backed by satisfactory drivers. There are some chinks in the chain, but one can't expect any kind of perfection.

I'd say buy the card. If you have issues, odds are you'll encounter no friction trying to return it, save for a restocking fee. Just make sure you know the return policy of the vendor. It might be better to take the CompUSA/Best Buy route in this case, as you don't save much money on these things buying online.
 
Their drivers are the crappy, i can't stand them. Their hardware is great, maybe pricey but generally very well made. If they had better drivers i would consider upgrading my audigy, but even with x-fi they have issues with the drivers.
 
Their drivers are the crappy, i can't stand them. Their hardware is great, maybe pricey but generally very well made. If they had better drivers i would consider upgrading my audigy, but even with x-fi they have issues with the drivers.

You've been reading too many Creative bashers posts:) My specs are in my Sig and mine does just as they are advertised and I still have all the apps and Bloatware installed LOL! The last update caused Digital In and Out to have to be alternately selecting them. Every damned thing else works and works well. A bud tested the old drivers they don't have this problem.

The cards do have some problems with some nForce 4 motherboards.
 
If playing games is not your top priority, I recommend Oxygen HD based sound cards because they have a better feature regarding with optical input/output than X-Fi. Some of the cards are listed on the first post of my X-Meridian thread.
 
If playing games is not your top priority, I recommend Oxygen HD based sound cards because they have a better feature regarding with optical input/output than X-Fi. Some of the cards are listed on the first post of my X-Meridian thread.

What i'll do with the sound card is mp3, games, ps3(optical input) and movies...

Why is this card not good for video games?
 
These cards are good for games but X-Fi is a little better because it has more features for games like EAX up to 5. Oxygen HD cards only support EAX up to 2. Oxygen HD cards can't decode a Dolby Digital sound from PS3 to its analogue output but it can pass the signal through its digital output. Not all X-Fi cards can decode the DD signal from PS3 from its digital input too, only some cards with the I/O drive can decode it like the Platinum, Fatal1ty and Elite Pro version but I've heard that the decoding feature is disabled in Vista. You might want to read the first post of my X-Meridian thread because there are some useful info regarding the features in it.
 
Oxygen HD cards can't decode a Dolby Digital sound from PS3 to its analogue output but it can pass the signal through its digital output. Not all X-Fi cards can decode the DD signal from PS3 from its digital input too

i'm not sure what you mean, all i want(regarding the ps3) is that my optical output can be plugged in the card and the sound comes out of the speakers... the video from the ps3 wont pass trough the computer, only the audio, will i need some special software? or will the card simply receive the signal and output it in the speakers?
 
PS3 uses an encoded signal(DD) to deliver its surround sound through digital connection so you need a receiver/decoder to decode this encoded signal first before you can get the surround sound from your PS3's optical output. Some X-Fi have this decoding feature but like I said before, the feature is said has been disabled in Vista. Without decoding, the card can't understand the information from your PS3 and you might end up getting only a noise when your sound card directly convert this digital signal into analogue for your speaker without decoding it first. You can still get a sound from PS3's optical output if you only use a stereo sound setting. Any signal through optical needs to be encoded into DD/DTS if it carries more than two channel. However if you connect your sound card to your speaker/receiver through optical, the sound card can let the encoded signal pass through from its optical input to its optical output and your receiver will do the decoding.
 
i'm not sure what you mean, all i want(regarding the ps3) is that my optical output can be plugged in the card and the sound comes out of the speakers... the video from the ps3 wont pass trough the computer, only the audio, will i need some special software? or will the card simply receive the signal and output it in the speakers?

Sound Blaster Digital I/O Module

Currently out of stock at Creative Labs but sells for $14.99 and about $6.95 shipping. These can also be found on EBay.

Then don't be afraid to install the software, commonly called "bloatware". Just about anything you need is included there. If you use Analog speaker out, the X-Fi can decode DD and DTS in hardware. No other software is needed. Of Course Vista is full of DRM and so far WinXP still does a great job.
 
Sound Blaster Digital I/O Module

Currently out of stock at Creative Labs but sells for $14.99 and about $6.95 shipping. These can also be found on EBay.

Then don't be afraid to install the software, commonly called "bloatware". Just about anything you need is included there. If you use Analog speaker out, the X-Fi can decode DD and DTS in hardware. No other software is needed. Of Course Vista is full of DRM and so far WinXP still does a great job.

I've seen this part, but with the post of alg7_munif, i'm wondering which card would decode it... And it's going to be used with Vista.. so if the decoding doesn't work on them.... useless to me :confused::(
 
I've seen this part, but with the post of alg7_munif, i'm wondering which card would decode it... And it's going to be used with Vista.. so if the decoding doesn't work on them.... useless to me :confused::(

Any card is useless with Vista, that's why I said what I did about WInXP. It's not about cards if you have an OS that's just one big bundle of DRM. Not just any DRM, it's embedded in the Software and Ran in Hardware by both AMD and Intel processors with ZERO control of the user. MS is even working on versions for WinXP while we speak.

All I was saying is that it is NOT the card but the OS that's the problem. The Audio Stack wasn't moved to help Consumers, it was moved to help implement DRM.
 
The DD/DTS decoding feature in the X-fi has been removed. A few people I have talked have gotten to SPDIF output to work under Vista just fine. What formats they were outputtting though is the question.
 
The DD/DTS decoding feature in the X-fi has been removed. A few people I have talked have gotten to SPDIF output to work under Vista just fine. What formats they were outputtting though is the question.


i dont want to output in optical/SPDIF, well not in a distant future.. maybe when i'll get a really home theater system. the output will be

I want to plug my PS3 via the optical (so an optical input) but from what the others says, with vista all the optical input encoded in DD/etc are render useless. So i guess i'll have to get the DDTS-100 from creative which does exactly what i want, except it's another box on my desk...:(
 
Have you tested it yet? I would try it out Somtimes if you look you can find work around etc. Good luck.
though if the input is encoded DD/DTS and you want the card to deode it then no I think you are out of luck. Look around though as I said usually people find work arounds for this type of stuff;)
 
Digital I/O module won't let you decode DD/DTS on X-Fi that does't have a I/O drive like Platinum/Fatal1ty. DDTS-100 is a good choice to decode a DD/DTS sound because it is a stand alone device. You don't need to turn on your PC to do the decoding. A HT receiver would also be a good investment.
 
i dont want to output in optical/SPDIF, well not in a distant future.. maybe when i'll get a really home theater system. the output will be

I want to plug my PS3 via the optical (so an optical input) but from what the others says, with vista all the optical input encoded in DD/etc are render useless. So i guess i'll have to get the DDTS-100 from creative which does exactly what i want, except it's another box on my desk...:(


By all means, don't waste your money one something PC Centric and spend it on an HT System. You'd come out better anyway. Spending money on an Open system with Vista isn't a good option at all IMHO. Move it to a Closed system like an HT Receiver and forget about it. Use Headphones while you save up for Speakers.
 
By all means, don't waste your money one something PC Centric and spend it on an HT System. You'd come out better anyway. Spending money on an Open system with Vista isn't a good option at all IMHO. Move it to a Closed system like an HT Receiver and forget about it. Use Headphones while you save up for Speakers.

I already have good speakers (Klipsch 5.1 ProMedia Ultra), for computer use they are perfect. And since my PS3 is plug into my BenQ FP241W(computer monitor) it would be stupid to buy a big ass tv, and a big ass sound system to put it in another room, when i can only buy a 150$ device... i'm planing to get those two later, saving for them currently, but it takes a while to save 10K (when i'll buy my sound system, it will be one with good sound quality... so really pricy!) So in between those big plan, i still want to play games/blu-ray movies in 5.1 not only 2.1....

So it's not a waste of money :p, just longterm planing without loosing the quality i already have....;)
 
I already have good speakers (Klipsch 5.1 ProMedia Ultra), for computer use they are perfect. And since my PS3 is plug into my BenQ FP241W(computer monitor) it would be stupid to buy a big ass tv, and a big ass sound system to put it in another room, when i can only buy a 150$ device... i'm planing to get those two later, saving for them currently, but it takes a while to save 10K (when i'll buy my sound system, it will be one with good sound quality... so really pricy!) So in between those big plan, i still want to play games/blu-ray movies in 5.1 not only 2.1....

So it's not a waste of money :p, just longterm planing without loosing the quality i already have....;)

It would be stupid to spend money on a big assed TV. I said NOTHING about a TV. Some folks say it is stupid to downgrade to the DRM riddled Windows Vista and expect to use it for Multimedia, but that's for another thread;)

I've very sorry, I didn't try to offend you and only tried to help. Good luck finding something you happy with:)
 
Some folks say it is stupid to downgrade to the DRM riddled Windows Vista and expect to use it for Multimedia, but that's for another thread
No kidding, Donnie. You're seriously propagandizing this thread.
 
It would be stupid to spend money on a big assed TV. I said NOTHING about a TV. Some folks say it is stupid to downgrade to the DRM riddled Windows Vista and expect to use it for Multimedia, but that's for another thread;)

I've very sorry, I didn't try to offend you and only tried to help. Good luck finding something you happy with:)

i wasn't offended and did meant to be impolite in my reply. It's just, don't assume every body has the money to pay for a dream setup, i though about it, but buying it would be financially.... painful hehe :p and that "cheap" box will do the job for now... ;)
 
No kidding, Donnie. You're seriously propagandizing this thread.

I just suggest he get a receiver I said NOTHING about a TV. I don't like computer multimedia speakers of any kind including Klipsch. I wasn't trying to trash the guy out and even suggested maybe using headphones to put off buying speakers for now.

I only present one view of many here;)
 
i wasn't offended and did meant to be impolite in my reply. It's just, don't assume every body has the money to pay for a dream setup, i though about it, but buying it would be financially.... painful hehe :p and that "cheap" box will do the job for now... ;)

Dewd I wish I had the money you think I have:D My old assed Pioneer is a long way from a Dream system. I'll tell you what though. I love the look on folks faces that spent tons more money.
 
I wasn't trying to trash the guy out and even suggested maybe using headphones to put off buying speakers for now.
I was referring to the Vista DRM stuff, actually.

I just thought it was a little strange that you brought it up in three different posts for seemingly no reason (although alg7 did mention it in passing prior to your posts). Looks a little bit like propagandizing to me, anyway.
 
I have never had a problem with my card. It has worked perfectly since Day 1
 
I was referring to the Vista DRM stuff, actually.

I just thought it was a little strange that you brought it up in three different posts for seemingly no reason (although alg7 did mention it in passing prior to your posts). Looks a little bit like propagandizing to me, anyway.


Sorry, MY BAD!
 
Back
Top