• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X-fi Problem

mastephens

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
250
I have the X-fi Platinum and the Giga-Works s700 5.1 speaker set-up. When the audio that is being output hits a certain mid-high frequency, it has a slight distortion and buzzing sound in the rear speakers. I plugged the fronts into the rear jacks thinking it was the speakers, but I got the same distortion. Now I know that it is not the speakers or wires, but something else. Does anyone have any ideas? It is driving me absolutely nuts because the frequency is in almost all music.
 
Is your volume up all the way on the x-fi and being controlled by the external console?

If so, try putting the sound to half in windows and recheck. The x-fi's besides the Elite Pro have distortion at very high volumes.
 
I did what you said, but I still get the ringing sound. It almost sounds like there is something loose in the speaker, but I have switched out all of them and it still comes from the rears. I at a loss.
 
which drivers do you use???? There is a set that was released in November that may help that.
Have you looked at the THX window to see how your speakers are adjusted???
 
I have up-to-date drivers for the X-fi, my motherboard bios and chipsets, and XP. The THX console is fine, all of the settings are as they should be. Someone HELP! (cause Creative WON'T)
 
Do you have any speakers to test against your current ones? Are all your speakers hooked into the sub, and the sub to the soundcard? I'll bet your sub's rear outputs have gone shitty on you.

I don't think this is a sound card problem at all like the other person suggested... my setup doesn't distort or anything with the x-fi turned all the way up and controlling the sound externally. everything's dandy. Check your speakers.
 
You could test them with another pc, or else hook another 5.1 set to your pc and see from there... still have a warranty?
 
I don't have any speakers to try out, and it turns out that the warranty expired 2 months ago. Things couldn't look BETTER!
 
get an ipod or, sorry, dap, even walkman, anything and test these 2 speakers connecting headphone out to the respective input on the sub. Just have the volume low when connecting, then gradually turn it up to verify if that's prob with speakers or a soundcard/cable...
 
It seems as though it is the X-fi rather than the speakers. I tested it with my iPod and it sounded fine. I then plugged headphones into the X-fi and got the same distortion. Now that I have that ruled out, maybe Creative will help me out. I have tried flattening the EQ out, still distorted. ?????????
 
How about removing and reseating the card, or moving it to another slot???? :D
 
Already did that a long time ago and it made no difference. I only have two PCI slots though.
 
Back
Top