X-Fi PCI-E performance

|oR|Spetsnaz

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 20, 2004
Messages
2,797
I bought the Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI-E card from Newegg and I swear all my games are running noticeably slower now. When running America's Army, if I have hardware sound on, I get about 40-50 fps. If I run it with software sound, I get like 60-70. When I play DiRT with EAX enabled, it looks like I am watching a slide show. If I turn it off, it runs pretty smooth.

Has anybody else tried this card?

Is there a good sound card that will not tax my system so heavily that is reasonably priced? I would really prefer to not spend more than $100 on a card. I was looking at the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1. Is this one any good? Pretty much all I want it for is gaming and movies.
 
AFAIK, It's not really an X-Fi Xtreme gamer, it's just a lower creative card thats made to work with PCI-E and a revamp on the name.

I could be wrong though.


If you are interested in a great card and are running XP, let me know, I'm selling my Barracuda AC-1 sound card.
 
The Extreme Audio does not have hardware acceleration (all audio is processed by the CPU). You need another X-Fi card (any other as long as it doesn't carry the Extreme Audio name) to receive hardware acceleration.
 
The Extreme Audio does not have hardware acceleration (all audio is processed by the CPU). You need another X-Fi card (any other as long as it doesn't carry the Extreme Audio name) to receive hardware acceleration.

Bingo! and this is the cause of your slowdown.
 
The Extreme Audio does not have hardware acceleration (all audio is processed by the CPU). You need another X-Fi card (any other as long as it doesn't carry the Extreme Audio name) to receive hardware acceleration.

QFT!

and that is also why it is ~$50 instead of ~$100 like many of the other X-FI series.
 
Back
Top