• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X-fi + onboard sound

Darth Flatus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 23, 2003
Messages
181
I've been using my x-fi for games and the onboard sound for sending audio to my T.V. when I'm watching DVD's from my computer. My question is will my system be slowed down by the onboard sound when it's enabled (in bios) even when in the control panel the X-Fi is selected for output?
 
i would think so... If sound is outputing through both chipsets, then both are being used. It doesn't matter if your plugging in your speakers or not, sound is still being processed.
 
onboard sound uses typically 1-2% of your cpu usage, so it shouldnt slow your computer down by too much
 
So even if the onboard sound isn't selected in the control panel (audio devices) it's still eating up cpu cycles?
 
discochan said:
how come you cant use the x-fi to send audio to your tv?

Well, I could use a splitter from the X-Fi but doesn't that lower the signal level?

I just tested my T.V. and when I have the x-fi enabled in the control panel no sound comes out of the T.V. so it must not be processing anything with the onboard sound.
 
Back
Top