X-Fi issues

bagels

n00b
Hey guys, I've been lurking around here for awhile and have always been able to find the answers I need buy searching but this time I can't find any answers. Heres the problem.

I just recently got an X-Fi extereme music edition for christmas. I put it in, installed the drivers and programs and everything went in smooth. But, after about 20 minutes of the computer being on, I get that "ding" noise you get with an error box. It will stop if I close a window thats on the screen such as aim, firefox or winamp. After this happens I can no longer right click and sometimes I can no longer open the start menu.

I've tried rebooting, updating drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling and nothing seems to fix the problem. And conveiniently creative has a lack-lust support section. :rolleyes:

Any body have ideas or ran into the same problem?

Any help is appreciated. :)

Hmmmmm... I just got the X-Fi gamer. And some wierd crap happened.

Question, did you install a silly demo disk that came with the card, "Sounds Best on Soundblaster?

If you installed it, let me know.

No I didn't install it. Last night I unistalled everything and reinstalled only the drivers and things were working fine. Right now im installing the rest of the programs one by one to see what one is causing the problem.

crazy, man.

My X-fi install went smooth, no troubles. A few days later I saw that stupid demo disk and loaded it up. Nothing on it so I closed it and ding, ding, can't get to Start.

I rebooted uninstalled, deleted the files and rebooted..OK no worries.

Here's where it got wierd. I can't get to task manager. Huh? Error box says "task manager has been disabled by administrator"..What? I'm the admin.

So I google that error message, some damn regedit?, editreg?, (sorry, I'm a n00b) Find some info on it, and yikes, I'd better run some A/V..

NOD32 got nothing, Ad-Aware finds the little bastard. Go into the reg and delete it. Task manager is back.

Now, this longwinded screed, I believe, originates from that stupid "sounds best on soundblaster" CD...Or if Creative lawyers are reading this, it probably didn't. I must have visited a bad website, but I didn't. So there. Just don't put it on your computer.

I could reinstall and confirm, but I probably won't.

Good luck.

this may be a question for the network/security forum, but why the fuck would someone want to disable my task manager? WTF?

Yea, my issues is that about after 20 minutes of use i get the "ding" error box noise and i can no longer click on apps or right click on anything.

??

Just since the X-FI upgrade..Damn, good luck.

Somebody smart needs to look at this, help you out.. bump to top.

Yea it was since the upgrade but I have figured it out. I went and installed each peice of software that comes with it one by one and was able to narrow it down. It was the Creative Entertainment Center that was causing the problems. Now everything is working smooth for now :)

Back