King of Heroes
[H]ard|Gawd
- Joined
- Mar 26, 2008
- Messages
- 2,006
I inquired in the Creative forums a while ago to see if the new X-Fi HD USB unit (now named the Sound Blaster Digital Music Premium HD on Creative's website) supports full OpenAL (sorry it took so long for me to make a thread about it here). The answer I got in the forums was "Yes":
http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaster/Soundblaster-X-Fi-HD-USB-ALchemy/td-p/569243
ALchemy is available to use with it, which means it would have to support OpenAL. The poster didn't really answer whether it was processed in hardware or software (which I guess doesn't matter, considering how powerful CPUs are nowadays). Of the scarce reviews of this unit that exist, NONE of them test its OpenAL compatibility. Are there any owners here that can possibly add any clarification?
I'm rather interested in getting rid of my current PCI-E X-Fi Titanium and replacing it with a USB unit. First off, because it frees up a PCI-E slot that could be better used for something else, and second because I'm tired of the card constantly dropping out and having to be reinstalled.
http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaster/Soundblaster-X-Fi-HD-USB-ALchemy/td-p/569243
ALchemy is available to use with it, which means it would have to support OpenAL. The poster didn't really answer whether it was processed in hardware or software (which I guess doesn't matter, considering how powerful CPUs are nowadays). Of the scarce reviews of this unit that exist, NONE of them test its OpenAL compatibility. Are there any owners here that can possibly add any clarification?
I'm rather interested in getting rid of my current PCI-E X-Fi Titanium and replacing it with a USB unit. First off, because it frees up a PCI-E slot that could be better used for something else, and second because I'm tired of the card constantly dropping out and having to be reinstalled.