• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X-FI Fatality, an Amplifier?

Mike Armstrong

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 26, 2005
Messages
197
Just bought the highly rated Beyer DT770 Pro 80ohm headphones and they sound great!. It's been recommended that they be used together with an amplifier. Does my X-FI Fatality soundcard qualify as one?
 
I think they mean a headphone amp. The X-Fi probably isn't one, though I don't know about the Fatality (the drive bay does draw power, though I'm not sure if it's a true amp).
 
If you didn't buy a headphone amp, you don't have one. They generally aren't integrated into stuff (at least not real amps.) 80ohm will be fine with no amp, though.
 
The X-Fi has an amplified line out, but it is not a true amplifier. Will your 770s sound better with a dedicated amp? I think so :)
 
Thanks NK, from what I've been reading, even though the 80ohm DT770 Pro's will perform alright without an amp (looks like my X-FI card will not qualify as one) they perform best with an amp. Can you recommend an amp for this headphone?

Edit: started a new thread on this subject.
 
The X-fi's opamps are spec'ed to drive 150 ohm loads. Though im pretty sure ANY headphone, even a cheap 10$ peice of shit is improved by a good amp. I know that is the case with my Micro.. makes even a pair of Sony Streestyles sound much better..

Regards,
Mike
 
Back
Top