• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X-Fi ExtremeMusic

polonyc2

Fully [H]
2FA
Joined
Oct 25, 2004
Messages
30,420
the new X-Fi ExtremeMusic card does not have any coaxial or optical output jacks on the back of the sound card itself...can I use my motherboards onboard coaxial/optical output jacks in its place or is that only when using onboard sound?...I wanted to connect my new Inspire P5800 speakers digitally to the DDTS-100 decoder box from Creative...can I do this via my mobo's SPDIF connections or do I need to upgrade to the Platinum or Fatal1ty version of the card to do this?

does an optical SPDIF connection make a real difference in sound quality or should I just leave my analog connections?
 
The Xfi card has a digital coax on the card. It's the top one. You will need a mono > RCA connector and then a digital coax cable. I got mine from radoishack and they work great.

To answer another, to use the optical or dig coax on your motherboard, you would have to use the on board sound.

May I suggest you bypass the CL decoder and just use the 3 analog outs on the soundcard right to the speakers. You will get better sound that way. Just make sure you use shielded cables (3.5mm stereo to RCA, also from Radioshack)
 
ziscwg said:
The Xfi card has a digital coax on the card. It's the top one. You will need a mono > RCA connector and then a digital coax cable. I got mine from radoishack and they work great.

can I do this without the DDTS decoder?...my Inspire P5800 speakers have an "AUX IN" connection...can I hook up the mono > RCA connector plus digital coax cable cable you mentioned from the AUX IN connection into the "Digital I/O" connection in my X-Fi ExtremeMusic sound card?
 
polonyc2 said:
can I do this without the DDTS decoder?...my Inspire P5800 speakers have an "AUX IN" connection...can I hook up the mono > RCA connector plus digital coax cable cable you mentioned from the AUX IN connection into the "Digital I/O" connection in my X-Fi ExtremeMusic sound card?

BUMP
 
1) The Aux-In is an analog only stereo input, so no, you cannot connect digitally to the P5800. It's meant for stereo connections, like a MP3 player.

2) Do you intend to connect anything else to the P5800, like a game console or dvd player digitally? If not, and you are just going to use the X-Fi XM, then you do not need to use the DDTS-100. Just use the 5.1 analog outputs from the soundcard; it'll sound just fine. Using digital out won't give you any better sound, plus you will lose 5.1 gaming sound that way.
 
Back
Top