• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X-Fi External Surround 5.1 Nightmare...

johnnydoe

Gawd
Joined
Jan 9, 2012
Messages
621
Hey folks. Let me get it quick, so I just got me a brand new, shiny X-Fi Surround 5.1 external sound card for my Precision M4300 since my main machine is down and I'm on my notebook, and want better sound out of this baby.

I plugged in the card and what not, ya know, it's extremely easy with an external sound card. Just plug in the USB and the power adapter... so it went that way, then I installed the XP x64 X-Fi driver uniform driver suite from Creative's site.

Loaded up and installed. All good, restarted and... boom. BSOD. Tried safe mode, no go. Tried to write a new MBR and a boot sector, no go. It's fucked. Should I reinstall the OS already or keep on trying? What would you suggest in such case?

I'm really mad right now because I'm on an extremely old, shitty notebook I took from work. And that because just this day, I installed a brand new Solidata X7 SandForce SF-2281 SLC drive I bought from eBay from Greece for $500 to my Precision M4300... and set up everything and what not, and now the OS is fucked.

Should I just reformat and do everything all over again or...?
 
lol

Creative drivers ftw.

It may be a conflict with the creative drivers and SSDs. They are known to cause serious issues like this at times.

No safe boot? Re-install os and return that pos "5.1". It isn't a real sound card. Better off with a usb dac by Fiio. It won't kill your pc.
 
Yeah, maybe.

I got it just because of the X-Fi chip. I still play Painkiller, F.E.A.R and shit and the notebook is on XP x64 so there's full DirectSound HAL and EAX there and what not...

that's what I'm thinking to do. I'll return this POS though I bought it from my local PC shop so no Firewire cards there... :D :p

What do you think about the M-Audio Firewire 1814? Old but still solid, amirite? I'm thinking to get a used one on the cheap. Might re-cap or something.
 
Should do ok. I would take the laptop in with you and test it in the shop bc they do have a known issue with ground loop hums. Check the M-Audio forums about that.

If it works fine in the shop though, it should be ok. Are you in Greece then?
 
U.S, I got the drive from Greece on eBay. Cost me about $575 w/ the shipping and customs duty charges.

Cheers. I got the bag of the notebook here. Will take it together with me to test and what not tomorrowz.
 
Back
Top