X-Fi Cracking/Poping sound from multiple sources

-=JaySin=-

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
125
I recently built an new pc and have been having issues with my Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card.

When I play multiple sources of music/sound the system outputs cracking and skipping music/sound. I notice this when I try to play a game like battle field 2 and play i-tunes mp3s simultaneously. I can also replicate the skipping sound occurrence when I have windows media player and QuickTime move player playing 2 videos simultaneously

I would like to know how to fix this skipping/cracking noise problem.

My system is as follows
Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply
ASUS P5NSLI Socket T SLI Intel Edition ATX Intel Motherboard
MSI NX7900GT-VT2D256E-HD PCI Express x16 Video Card
pqi TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667



Note-I run the creative software in game mode and I have integrated sound on my mobo but I use the sound out jacks on my creative x-fi
 
The cracking is probably caused by the sound levels overloading. Try setting the master volume to about 60%.

I'm not sure why it crackles rather than just distorting/saturating, but lowering the volume works for me.
 
-=JaySin=- said:
Note-I run the creative software in game mode and I have integrated sound on my mobo but I use the sound out jacks on my creative x-fi

Have you turned off your integrated sound in the Bios?
 
There is a known problem with nforce chipsets. I get the same thing as well sometimes and usually a re-boot solves the problem for me.
 
X-Fi needs more bandwidth than previous sound cards. I believe it is sharing resources with other periferals. Try putting it into another PCI slot, if that doesn't work, try changing the IRQ in device manager, if that doesn't work, try putting a heastink on the chip cuz they get hot. Make sure on board sounsd is disable like previous poster stated. I had this problem too. It is a bitch to fiure out and Creative doesn't help at all. People actually tried suing them with a class action suit for this. Anyways, I ended up changing PCI slots to give it its own IRQ. I also looked into changing the PCI latency, which has helped some people.
 
belmicah said:
X-Fi needs more bandwidth than previous sound cards. I believe it is sharing resources with other periferals. Try putting it into another PCI slot, if that doesn't work, try changing the IRQ in device manager, if that doesn't work, try putting a heastink on the chip cuz they get hot. Make sure on board sounsd is disable like previous poster stated. I had this problem too. It is a bitch to fiure out and Creative doesn't help at all. People actually tried suing them with a class action suit for this. Anyways, I ended up changing PCI slots to give it its own IRQ. I also looked into changing the PCI latency, which has helped some people.

if it uses so much bandwidth, how is changing the pci slot (which the entire bus is shared bandwidth) going to help with that part of the problem? :p

i cannot say i've run into the problem because that is the only pci device i have in my system. i personally cannot wait for sound cards to hit pci-e.
 
Back
Top