• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

X-fi Card crashes my system

1000

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Messages
426
hi guys.

I've just built a new Conroe system, Duo Core 6600, Asus P5W-DH, 7950GX2, 2gig Corsair.

I also took the opportiunuty to pick up a X-fi extreme music at the same time to replace my old Augidy 1 card.

For a full week my new baby was unstable, with crashes - even just browsing. I'd just hear the windows "system error" sound clip over and over again and everything would stop responding.

Finally after a week of frigging around I took out the X-fi card and my problems immediately went away. The system has now been rock stable 24 hours, whereby before the sucker would crash pretty much every hour.

I updated all the Creative drivers etc, tried different PCI slots etc but the moment the X-fi card is added to the system the whole system becomes unstable again.

Is there anything I can do to utilise my shiny new X-fi card in the system ? I really don't want to rely on on-board sound on the mobo.. it's simply not as good. Is there anything else I should try ?

Or should I return the card and buy an audigy 2 or something ?

Why the hell would a cutting-edge card liket he x-fi refuse to work properly in such a new system ?

1000
 
x-fi is really hit or miss dude, some people have an awesome experience with it and others... well its just torture with crashing/hissing/cracking or all of the above, so i would say return it deff and either pick up a new one and see if it works, if that doesnt grab a audigy 2 zs, while not as good as x-fi, its pretty darn decent, but first id say try a different x-fi card (not model)
 
i got my x-fi stable after receiving it back from rma, my first one had the problems you described, possibly older firmware on yours, also do you have a heatsink on your main chip or no? if you do its a newer revision, if not don't even mess around just get it sent back. also i found modded drivers, i think they are like youp pax or some group, i used them and i've been pretty stable with them.

just some things to try, needless to say i wont own another creative product
 
I'm still using a Sound Blaster live 5.1. Sound like the X-Fi are crap. Is sound blaster still the king of audio or should other sound cards be considered?
 
Back
Top