X-Fi + BF2=Freezing

I'm looking into getting the X-Fi Extreme Music from BestBuy this week for say 90 bucks with the deal and 10% coupon they have now.

I'm using the onboard audio right now on my DFI NF4 SLI-D

From reading here, I'm a little confused as to the correct answer to this question:

Can I set the sound to Ultra in BF2 if I get the Extreme Music? or do you need the x-ram on the card to get Ultra to work?

I'm not too worried for now on the FPS hit and the Fatality's price doesn't seem warranted (and I hate the white trash front breakout box & would never use it)

Also, would it be 'that' big a difference between the X-Fi and the onboard audio (realtek 850)? I'm using the original Klipsch 4.1s.
Would the X-fi cause more issues than it's worth?

Thanks.

Can I set the sound to Ultra in BF2 if I get the Extreme Music?

Yes. Although it causes many people to lag and stutter. But technically is should work.

Also, would it be 'that' big a difference between the X-Fi and the onboard audio (realtek 850)?

Yes big difference in both sound quality and performance.

Hasn't caused me issues yet (*knocks on wood*). Make sure it's on its own IRQ, and you should not have any problem (also make sure you turn off your on board audio in your bios too).

NACZ3 said:
I'm looking into getting the X-Fi Extreme Music from BestBuy this week for say 90 bucks with the deal and 10% coupon they have now.

GO gor it!

I'm using the onboard audio right now on my DFI NF4 SLI-D

From reading here, I'm a little confused as to the correct answer to this question:

There and old saying that goes like, "Anything easy is not worth having".

Can I set the sound to Ultra in BF2 if I get the Extreme Music? or do you need the x-ram on the card to get Ultra to work?

Yes, I'm using the Ultra setting with no problems.

Also, would it be 'that' big a difference between the X-Fi and the onboard audio (realtek 850)? I'm using the original Klipsch 4.1s.

Yes but 5.1s are must though.

Donnie27

@bratboy, this one:
Wes, I realize its a stupid question but yopu are switching to Game Mode before you launch the game? I was having exact same issue with D3 when I first got my fatality then suddenly dawned on me to switch and no more crashes. Unfortunatly is about only suggestion I have because Im not interested in War Games as a rule so havent wasted money on that game.

Quick question. My co-worker is having some "sound" issues with his system. He is getting a bunch of feedback and supposidly the game lags when alot of sound is begin exicuted. He seems the think the X-Fi XM is going to fix all of his problems.(which he bought and was going to install tonight) I think he has another issue somewhere. (using onboard sound on a MSI Neo4)

WesM63 said:
@bratboy, this one:

Quick question. My co-worker is having some "sound" issues with his system. He is getting a bunch of feedback and supposidly the game lags when alot of sound is begin exicuted. He seems the think the X-Fi XM is going to fix all of his problems.(which he bought and was going to install tonight) I think he has another issue somewhere. (using onboard sound on a MSI Neo4)

How did it go? On board sound can only do 32 voices as far as I know.

Donnie27

I replaced my Audigy 2 ZS with an X-Fi music, and BF2 would crash to the desktop as soon as I switched to X-Fi and Ultra settings :eek: As soon as I installed the X-Fi patch, no more problems. That was how it worked for me and my system....

Back