• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

- - X-Fi Audio VS PS3 Audio - -

My take?

Dedicated hardware > General purpose..
The way the audio works on the PS3 it has to share ressources/RAM with graphips, AI ect. and thus making it a balancing act.

Terra...
 
You're asking this on a forum where 90% of the users here own the X-Fi card(s) soo.....the answers you're going to see are going to be somewhat biased since they think the X-Fi is God's gift to computer audio.

My advice to you is to ask on a different forum. Now if you'll excuse me I have a Train to catch before the flames burn me *runs away* :eek:
 
RailGunRiz said:
You're asking this on a forum where 90% of the users here own the X-Fi card(s) soo.....the answers you're going to see are going to be somewhat biased since they think the X-Fi is God's gift to computer audio.

My advice to you is to ask on a different forum. Now if you'll excuse me I have a Train to catch before the flames burn me *runs away* :eek:

You could have given your perspective.
Your post holds no on topic value sorry ;)

Terra...
 
Difficult to compare, the PS3 audio will most likely be attached to a receiver with speakers and that will make the biggest difference, it shares 256mb from the system wich would compared to 256 of a pc mobos ram, just my video card use 256mb and im running 2gb ram so they could be better but like I said the receiver you buy will make all the difference.
 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we are talking about digital outs to receivers, shouldn't the X-Fi and the PS3 be very comperable since they both have bit perfect digital out (I didn't look at the link, I'm assuming the PS3 does)?
 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we are talking about digital outs to receivers, shouldn't the X-Fi and the PS3 be very comperable since they both have bit perfect digital out (I didn't look at the link, I'm assuming the PS3 does)?

Well my biggest problem with the PS3 is that it only outputs 44.1khz and 48khz. I guess one won't be able to playback 24/96 or 24/192 dvd-audio's with it. :(

Other than that it looks pretty decent. I guess we will have to wait and see.
 
You're asking this on a forum where 90% of the users here own the X-Fi card(s) soo.....the answers you're going to see are going to be somewhat biased since they think the X-Fi is God's gift to computer audio. My advice to you is to ask on a different forum. Now if you'll excuse me I have a Train to catch before the flames burn me *runs away*

Mr. RailGunRiz, stop commenting about my thread that's not a good habit, I didn,t make a mistake my topic is a part of this forum, since audio is a key element in games in both computer & video consoles, so the duty for everybody is to convey the information and service, as much as possible. in respect to you Mr. RailGunRiz :eek:
 
Moofasa~ said:
Well my biggest problem with the PS3 is that it only outputs 44.1khz and 48khz. I guess one won't be able to playback 24/96 or 24/192 dvd-audio's with it. :(

Other than that it looks pretty decent. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Ugh, good point. Guess I'll have to keep using this crappy X-Fi software as my DVD-A player. Why would I want to buy a second DVD player to play DVD-A when the PS2/PS3 plays DVD-V just fine?!
 
The PS3 audio system only has to do one thing were as the X-Fi has to do many. I would guess that the PS3's audio will be as good as the X-Fi's when fed the same source.

...and it definitely sucks that the PS3 doesn't support higher samplings.
 
AcidBurn said:
It's like Terra says the PS3 audio system only has to do one thing were as the X-Fi has to do many. I would guess that the PS3's audio will be as good as the X-Fi's when fed the same source.

I think you got some words mixed around there ;)

Terra..
 
You seem to have made some sort of mistake.
The soundsystem in PS3 will have to fight for CPU time alongside graphics, AI ect.
The X-Fi only have to do sound ;)

Terra- You got it backwards ;)
 
I understand that the PS3 is a shared architecture and the X-Fi is a multi-tasker as it has to do MIDI, DSP, and Synth/Wave control, though the X-Fi is all dedicated hardware. I'm just saying that the audio of the PS3 will be(if the game developers are good) just as good as the X-Fi in gaming and DVD playback.

Basically what I am saying is whether your playing a game on the PS3 or an X-Fi equiped computer they both will sound good.
 
AcidBurn said:
I understand that the PS3 is a shared architecture and the X-Fi is a multi-tasker as it has to do MIDI, DSP, and Synth/Wave control, though the X-Fi is all dedicated hardware. I'm just saying that the audio of the PS3 will be(if the game developers are good) just as good as the X-Fi in gaming and DVD playback.

Basically what I am saying is whether your playing a game on the PS3 or an X-Fi equiped computer they both will sound good.

PS3 Audio:

Sampling Frequency: 44.1/48 kHz
Sound Formats: Stereo/Dolby Digital/DTS
Sound Memory: 0-256MB(shared system memory)

X-Fi Audio:
Sampling Frequency: 16-bit/44.1kHz, 16-bit/48kHz, 24-bit/44.1kHz 24-bit/48kHz and 24-bit/96kHz
Sound Formats: Stereo/Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital EX/DTS/DTS-ES
Sound Memory: 0-64MB(dedicated memory)

And that combined with the fact that you got 51 million transistors dedicated transitors in the X-Fi doing nothing but audio(BTW, midi are not used when gaming or watching movies making it a mute point) while the PS3 does it audio on the CPU, meaning that Audio on the PS3 will be figthing everything else for CPU cycles.

Terra - So I fail to see how you reach your conclusion based on the facts?
 
AcidBurn said:
Do PC games use 24 bit audio?

It's moot by the way

I use the 24Bit Chystalizer in games yup. :p

But, you didn't quite answer my question? :)

Terra - Tanks for the correction of my english, I learn more every day ;)
 
I wasn't talking about upconverting and the Crystalizer is really more of a compressor.

It doesn't take a whole lot of power to run 5.1 channels of audio. How many fps do you lose in a game when using onboard sound instead of a sound card? usually around 5 or so, add in the fact that your talking about a multi-core system at 3Ghz and the shared architecture isn't that big of a problem. The only thing that kinda worries me is the shared memory but most developers will do a good job of managing that(especially Tojima's team).
 
AcidBurn said:
I wasn't talking about upconverting and the Crystalizer is really more of a compressor.

It doesn't take a whole lot of power to run 5.1 channels of audio. How many fps do you lose in a game when using onboard sound instead of a sound card? usually around 5 or so, add in the fact that your talking about a multi-core system at 3Ghz and the shared architecture isn't that big of a problem. The only thing that kinda worries me is the shared memory but most developers will do a good job of managing that(especially Tojima's team).

Then add that I am using 7.1 surround and full EAX effects.
That would be 128 simultanious hardware voices with 4 effects per voice.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1850393,00.asp

CPU utilization with 32 voices for the Audigy 4 was around 5%. The X-Fi obtained essentially the same result. But that's not the whole story. The Audigy 4 couldn't run the 127 voice test, while the X-Fi completed the 127 voice test with a CPU utilization of 6%. Needless to say, no integrated audio solution can come remotely close to that

And hee is a good review to get you more up-to-date on what the X-fi really is all about:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/sound/246/1/

And the followup:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/sound/265/1/

Again dedicated hardware > general purpose
It goes for graphics and it goes for sound...like anything else.

Terra....
 
Back
Top