• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X-Fi & Abit AN8 Ultra problems

Occidio

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 17, 2005
Messages
1,497
I am having a wierd problem with my configuration. When I initially built the machine things seemed fine. But after post, my list of irqs from the bios had like 15 unknown devices. Then the OS would quit booting up. Everything went back to normal once I took the X-Fi out and put in that crappy sound board that came with the mobo. Anyone have these problems and had them fixed?
 
are you running the latest bios for your mb? if not update it and try the x-fi again.
 
That was definaly one of the things I was thinking also. I just dread flashing the bios. Guess I will have to install the floppy and try that out. I thought I heard about the x-fi's having problems on some mobo's.
 
Technically you can go back and forth arguing which part is at fault. But the bottom line is I heard that some people where having problems with the x-fi. If those people are all using differences in mobos. Then the blame should fall on the x-fi for having a compatiblilty problems with mobos on the market. It just a good plus that the mobo manufactures can make a bios update to fix the problem.
 
to the op does your x-fi have a heat sink on the chip? i just installed an xtreme music yesterday which i bought from bestbuy and it came with the heatsink. the earlier production ones didnt have the heatsink or the updated bios on them from creative. i think it boils down to either getting the card with the updated bios or flashing your mb's bios. either one should fix the reboot issue.
 
Definitely flash BIOS on AN8 Ultra in order for it to work with the X-Fi. It's not that bad - just make sure you follow the flash procedures to the T. I did just that, and have had no probs. Install OS, SP2, NForce drivers, video drivers, sound drivers, other peripheral drivers in that order, and you SHOULD have no probs. Hope this works for you.
___________________________________________
#1 (2005) : Athlon64 3000+ (Venice) : ABIT AN8 Ultra (BIOS #18, nForce v6.70) : 1GB Mushkin PC3200 : Galaxy GeForce 6600GT : SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme : Sony DRU-800A : WD 200GB SATA2 : Thermaltake Shark : Thermaltake TWV 430W : Dell 2005FPW : So far, so good ...
#2 (2003) : P4 2.4B (Northwood) : ABIT BH7 (i845PE) : 1GB Mushkin PC2700 : MSI GeForce4 Ti 4200 : Imation 16x DVDR DL : Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA : Thermaltake 420W : Dell 1704FPT
 
all u gotta do is use the windows app to flash the bios. Return all OC settings back to normal before you do it tho. I have the same prob on my AN8 vanilla where the thing does a run down of like a million diff things but it boots into windows right after that so i leave it alone.
 
Cool, I used the Abit windows flash utility and it flashed it fine. I will put the x-fi back in and see how it runs after work today. I didnt know they were making windows flash utilities now. Makes it alot easier.
 
Well the flash utility did the job. X-fi is reinstalled and working beautifully. I can finally hear all my speakers again. That flash really did the trick.
 
Back
Top