• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X-Fi 8-21-05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnie27

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
5,616
I was reading my latest MaximumPC and saw a pic of it. There info and etc.. Looks like no optical out unless it is on a Live Drive or DTS-610 or etc..

Looks like it did fix my biggest Gripe. It has 4 out connectors instead of the 3 that requires a Jerry-Rig Audio/Video Tri or 3way cable.

X notes:
the rules said:
(14) Do not post MATERIAL where you do not have permission to distribute it electronically or otherwise. This includes posting images directly from a website (Bandwidth Theft) Images are to be hosted personally or by a third party host.

the rules again! said:
(15) Observe all COPYRIGHT LAWS, TOS's and NDA's when posting copyrighted material. If the material belongs to someone else, credit the original author. Do not post messages that violate Federal, State, or Local laws which include, but are not limited to, anything that violates a copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or is bound by NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement).


I think that pretty much covers why you cannot post scanned magazine articles. :rolleyes:
 
Nice find :)

Its funny I was JUST reading about it on creatives site. I sure hope this card is all it sounds like its going to be.

PS. Wheres page 36 of that article at? :p
 
I just read that article too, but I am still skeptical about all these features that they are touting. I'm just going to wait till it comes out to see if Creative is really backing up the talk.
 
towert7 said:
Oh darn, I was hoping for a coaxial out right on the card. ~_~

but then you wouldn't need a LIVEDRIVE (tm)


I really wish there were solutions out that were competitive to creative labs' support and API usage.. HDA stuff is awesome, but there's nothing with its own API that games can use..it's EAX or none. :/
 
DaRkF0g said:
Nice find :)

Its funny I was JUST reading about it on creatives site. I sure hope this card is all it sounds like its going to be.

PS. Wheres page 36 of that article at? :p

Page #36 talks about the whole building of the Dream Machine, not just the X-Fi. :)

Every Webmaster and Tech reporter has given it a thumbs up. Keep in mind that some of these same folks gave Audigy 2 ZS a lukewarm reception.

Donnie27
 
strid3r said:
I just read that article too, but I am still skeptical about all these features that they are touting. I'm just going to wait till it comes out to see if Creative is really backing up the talk.

I have a 25% Discount as part of the Lawsuit, it wouldn't be the first time they've lied. With Cheap Azealia on one side, Envy24 (MAudio-Terratec) and HDA-M on one side, Creative can't afford to let PR "take care of it". X-Fi has to kickass and do it at the same price levels.

Donnie27
 
Donnie27 said:
I have a 25% Discount as part of the Lawsuit, it would be the first time they've lied. With Cheap Azealia on one side, Envy24 (MAudio-Terratec) and HDA-M on one side, Creative can't afford to let PR "take care of it". X-Fi has to kickass and do it at the same price levels.

Donnie27
Yeah that AND some quality drivers :p

If this card promises what I have read, then I can wait for decent drivers. Just knowing I have a card that possesses such capibility will be worth the wait :)
 
DaRkF0g said:
Yeah that AND some quality drivers :p

If this card promises what I have read, then I can wait for decent drivers. Just knowing I have a card that possesses such capibility will be worth the wait :)

I haven't been worried about Drivers since the Audigy 2 shipped with some that worked great for me and the many I installed in other folks systems. With that said, don't get me started on the Audigy 1 though.

Donnie27
 
Donnie27 said:
I haven't been worried about Drivers since the Audigy 2 shipped with some that worked great for me and the many I installed in other folks systems. With that said, don't get me started on the Audigy 1 though.

Donnie27
Heh thats my experience with Creatives products. I Used to own the Audigy 1. Oh what a fun time that was :p.
 
fwiw, anyone bitching about Creative's drivers should try KXProject. They're MUCH better than Creative's Drivers ever will be. The KX drivers aren't full of bloatware or anything of that nature either...just straightforward, great drivers. Granted, they may not support all the "features" that creative's drivers do, but then again, for people like me that only use it for gaming who cares? :p

btw...what price point is this X-Fi going to be at? I find it rediculous to pay more than $100 for a card unless I have a more professional use for it (ie, actually making use of it instead of just games).
 
nst6563 said:
fwiw, anyone bitching about Creative's drivers should try KXProject. They're MUCH better than Creative's Drivers ever will be. The KX drivers aren't full of bloatware or anything of that nature either...just straightforward, great drivers. Granted, they may not support all the "features" that creative's drivers do, but then again, for people like me that only use it for gaming who cares? :p

btw...what price point is this X-Fi going to be at? I find it rediculous to pay more than $100 for a card unless I have a more professional use for it (ie, actually making use of it instead of just games).


yea. i used the KX drivers, but switched back because i didn't like the way that the DSP was managed in them. i also didn't like that the audio seemed to dwindle in quality over time-- when i first had the drivers installed, everything was fine, but then after about 3 months on a new windows install, they got poopier and poopier until i just used driver cleaner and installed the creative drivers

(besides, discreet audio via 5.1 doesn't work correctly, and EAX is permanently broken, since there isn't anyone willing to code for the EAX API in KX.. :/)
 
Yes!!! I can't wait to upsample and remix all my old Vanilla Ice casette tapes to better than studio quality sound using the mighty mythical magic that LIES within X-Fi!!!! :D :D :D
 
Jodiuh said:
Yes!!! I can't wait to upsample and remix all my old Vanilla Ice casette tapes to better than studio quality sound using the mighty mythical magic that LIES within X-Fi!!!! :D :D :D
Thats a major highlight I too am looking forward to.
 
DaRkF0g said:
Heh thats my experience with Creatives products. I Used to own the Audigy 1. Oh what a fun time that was :p.

Yes, it's drivers did suck!

Donnie27
 
Going to have to wait a few more days for more release info. Everything is somewhat sketchy at this point.
 
Jodiuh said:
Yes!!! I can't wait to upsample and remix all my old Vanilla Ice casette tapes to better than studio quality sound using the mighty mythical magic that LIES within X-Fi!!!! :D :D :D
I hope you were being sarcastic....
 
spectra260 said:
So do we know if the x-fi card will be able to do digital surround sound alone with digital speakers or will you have to buy this thing in the thread below as well? The Creative DTS-610 - http://www.soundblaster.com/products/hometheaterconnect/

Sound Card
Yes so you'll have data processed, sent uncompressed to DACs to Analog out.

DTS 610
To Analog in, then Compressed, then sent to Another set of DACs in the 610

Receiver
To then be sent to another set of DAC to convert a final time as X.1. There has to be a better way.

Donnie27
 
m0unds said:
HDA stuff is awesome, but there's nothing with its own API that games can use..it's EAX or none. :/
Dolby Surround, it's already in games like Half-Life 2 and WarCraft 3. Although technically I guess it is not HDA's own API.

Sound Card
Yes so you'll have data processed, sent uncompressed to DACs to Analog out.

DTS 610
To Analog in, then Compressed, then sent to Another set of DACs in the 610

Receiver
To then be sent to another set of DAC to convert a final time as X.1. There has to be a better way.
Yeah it's called DDL :p, but I agree if there was only a way to encode 5.1 uncompressed digitally that would be the best. I still believe DDL is better than this "Creative DTS solution" and using Creative's dacs for analog out though.
 
Moofasa~ said:
Dolby Surround, it's already in games like Half-Life 2 and WarCraft 3. Although technically I guess it is not HDA's own API.

Yeah it's called DDL :p, but I agree if there was only a way to encode 5.1 uncompressed digitally that would be the best. I still believe DDL is better than this "Creative DTS solution" and using Creative's dacs for analog out though.

Only in HDA's dreams. Repost!

"The problem with HDA-M and Sound Storm (Most of my Sound Storm owning buddies bought Audigy 2 and never looked back) is the lack the Production of game sounds prior to being encoded or sent to each channel. If it were doing A3D 2 or 3, EAX 3 or 4 + Plus FULL DS3D, then I'd be here singing its praises, but it can friggen NOT. While the Audigy 2 ZS can do Four of these affects at one time, the other can barely do one at a time.

I already told you, if it could, I'd buy one tomorrow. I think I'll wait on some the ZS's bound to found cheap on ebay.

Donnie27
 
Moofasa~ said:
Yeah it's called DDL :p, but I agree if there was only a way to encode 5.1 uncompressed digitally that would be the best. I still believe DDL is better than this "Creative DTS solution" and using Creative's dacs for analog out though.

You are looking for something more on the lines of output via HDMI, the only protocol that supports multichannel lossless. Course, no product like that exists currently, so we'll have to keep on dreaming. It is a matter of time, Windows Vista will be pushing this interface heavily to appease Hollywood, so you won't be getting high-res video OR audio off your PC without an HDMI plug =]

Also, I'm positive that DDL or DTS online would be better than an A>D>A conversion step thrown in the signal chain for no reason.
 
Moofasa said:

" Dolby Surround, it's already in games like Half-Life 2 and WarCraft 3. Although technically I guess it is not HDA's own API."

Do Half Life 2 provide 5.1 audio w/o a Creative card, or via s-pdif out to a receiver? I know DOOM 3 does.. but WoW definitely offers EAX 4 processing, b/c there's an interview on Creative's website discussing it. Whether it's better, i don't know.

I do know that EAX 5 has some pretty cool things in it that Dolby Surorund doesn't support right now.
 
You "guys" have been debating this whole DDL thing for how long now?
In how many threads?
Who has constantly shown that is clueless about the whole thing?
Do we need to watch you debate that whole thing all over again in this thread?
I think not. ;)
If you wish to discuss the merits of the X-fi please do so in one the active threads.... that way we don't have to rehash everything that has been brought up before.
Do I need to go over why we don't post * copyrighted material * (like scanned magazine articles) again or does the first post now make that clear? :(

Cause if not I can always post an announcement.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top