X-Fi 5.1

Retardo

Gawd
Just installed this soundcard(box) and it only works if i disable my previous sound on my laptop. Thing is, when I disable my built in card i have to restart the laptop. Is there anyway I can use both at the same time or disable my laptop card w/o having to restart?

I bring my laptop to school and work everyday. I use the 5.1 only at home. I dont want to have to keep disabling my laptop card when I'm out and go home and enable it to use 5.1.

Is this the USB X-Fi? What laptop do you own?

I've never had a problem with the USB X-Fi and using the built-in sound card.

What happens when you plug it in without disabling the other sound card? Where do you have to disable it? In device manager or in the sound options in control panel?

EDIT: Also I think if you go into the sound options in control panel you should be able to put priority on the X-Fi, then when its plugged in, it should be the primary. Some programs might need to be set manually though.

i was disabling in device manager. I just messed around with the sound options in the control panel like you said. Making the X-fi default. It works. My only complaint now is when i switch from x-fi to my laptop or vice versa...i have to exit out of all my programs (winamp, FF) for the sound to work. I can live w/ this but anything else i can do to not have to do this? Thanks for all the help.

is there any reason you need to use the built-in sound?

if you can't provide a solid answer to that, just disable it in the BIOS and be done with it

oh, in that case you basically have to deal with Windows' screwy multi-device handling, and you'll have to re-start the applications in order to change devices

basically you're doing something that isn't quite "standard" so support for it isn't quite "standard", although it does work

Back