x-com series

Wildwhippy

Limp Gawd
x-com just came to steam, I'm in total nostalgia :D can't find my original cds anymore, so glad 2k put it on steam

sweet!
I have the original, but never played the others, may need to check them out

nice!
i have the cd somewhere but i think i had to run it on dosbox

i remember playing the original late at night, going in the big ufos and bases was scary!

I must have 4 or 5 cds of xcom and TFTD. For awhile it seemed to come with any piece of hardware or free with something i bought.

keep hearing rumors of people working on a remake/new one, but yet to see anything that compares to it actually finish and out the door.

Complete X-Com package on steam for less than 15 bucks, hells yes. Too bad I suck at the games, oh well still fun. :p

[Paragon];1032989915 said:
Complete X-Com package on steam for less than 15 bucks, hells yes.

+1

The first two were awesome. Never really played Apocalypse as I'm sad to say back then my computer couldn't run it! :p

Does anybody know how to change the resolution on the First X-Com? I can't really find any settings to change.

It's currently occupying about a 6" window in the middle of my 24" monitor, so it's slightly teeny to say the least.

Does anybody know how to change the resolution on the First X-Com? I can't really find any settings to change.

It's currently occupying about a 6" window in the middle of my 24" monitor, so it's slightly teeny to say the least.

It doesnt have options for resolution. I also play it (Steam version) on my 24" monitor but its fullscreen.

Edit:

I'm surprised how good the game looks at such a low res and scaled so much.

fyi, the original and apcolypse work on vista, and they are working on TFTD

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?id=17846108#itemanchor_17846108

and http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722203&highlight=x-com+vista
" Jason2K:
In the not-too-distant-future we will be updating TFD to use DOSBox like we do with UFOD so it gains Vista compatibility. I'm fiddling with that when I get a chance, so look for that soon.

I'm told it's save game compatible with the DOS version, which is key...I don't want angry fans coming after me because we updated the game on Steam and deleted their save files in the process.

When we do this though we'll leave the Windows version for those who prefer it."

Is there any reason that these are listed as "multi-player" and "co-op" games on steam?
Last I knew, none of them had those. Am I missing something?

Damn... I'm going to have to reinstall Steam. Last time I tried to play was on my old 2.2ghz P4. The computer was so fast, it would jump from one side of the map to the other as soon as you tried to scroll it.

Damn... I'm going to have to reinstall Steam. Last time I tried to play was on my old 2.2ghz P4. The computer was so fast, it would jump from one side of the map to the other as soon as you tried to scroll it.

lol, I remember that happening to me and the hoops you have to go through to slow it down was a pain for me

yeah it runs like a champ now, perfectly. I'm a little stymied at the difficulty of UFO defense.

I'd forgotten how hard games were back in the day. I played this game summer of my sophomore year in high school, and it's been that long since I've played it. I really wish someone would just remake this game, with almost the exact same gameplay and a few modern conveniences.

They have done a lot since I last looked at it. Think when I played it was an early alpha build. Looks good.

Thanks for the link I'll be wasting time on this instead of work this week i think.

Kinda neat for sure, I had no idea this existed.
The whole "we dont allow save games during battlescape mode = fear" thing is lame though. Battles can take many hours and not being able to save is stupid. And as if this thing will never crash either.

yeah it runs like a champ now, perfectly. I'm a little stymied at the difficulty of UFO defense.

I just fired this up again and yeah, it's brutal. From what I recall though, that's always the case in the beginning until you research and get armor for your guys, then it's a lot easier until the psychic snake enemies start showing up (and then, it's the same thing until you research the psi helmets).

I'm happy to note I still have great success with my old trick of using the high-explosive blocks as hand grenades. :D

You know what throws me the most about this game though? No tool tips. I mean WTF, how am I supposed to know what all the buttons do? (Oh yeah, read the manual.. but this is 200x, we don't need no stinking manuals.) That, and I wonder if the game is supposed to be as sluggish as it is, or if its an ill-configured DOSBox.

Fired up enforcer as well. What in the world was the dev team smoking? Or was there even a team, it's like a $5 shareware title that someone slapped "x-com" on.

I just fired this up again and yeah, it's brutal. From what I recall though, that's always the case in the beginning until you research and get armor for your guys, then it's a lot easier until the psychic snake enemies start showing up (and then, it's the same thing until you research the psi helmets).

I'm happy to note I still have great success with my old trick of using the high-explosive blocks as hand grenades. :D.

Yeah the early no tech stage is fun. I name all my weak guys I dont care to save till later "fodder" or "VC sapper" and load them up with nades and HE and run in willy nilly. KABLOOIE. Blow the side of the UFO open with a tossed HE, then run in with another armed one. If they live, great, if they get shot, oh well. KABLOOIE!

That and a couple of rocket tanks to level every farm house.

Back