X-03 SFF in an audio rack.

DeFex

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - June 2011
Here is an almost fanless 2u audio rack unit. I am looking in to getting rid of that last fan as well. It it the only moving part in the whole machine.

xite_003_inside.jpg

Only uses 34 watts at the plug when the DSP card is fully loaded. (66 watts when CPU is under full load as well)

This is for a project i am working on at http://neutron-sound.blogspot.comthe whole point of the exercise is to host that pulsar card.

They are notoriously fussy about the PCI implementation, IRQ sharing etc. i had tried a Via board with not much luck.

The rest of the electronics for the project will go in a matching 1u box from the same place(ebay actually they are $50)

The back panel is from an old 2u pentium 3 server case (it was about 30 inches long though)
I had to do a lot of hacking, dremelling, and drilling to make them fit together.then lining up the holes for the motherboard, bleah.

Computer:
CPU E7300
Motherboard Intel DG41MJ
SSD OCZ Agility 60GB
1 stick 2GB RAM, (other one is RMA'd)
Power brick and DC-DC converter from mini-box.com
Sonic core pulsar. (made in 2001!)

Here it is running a modular synth, a delay and a mixer on the DSP.everything is completely run on DSP There is no driver latency or anything it is like having a piece of hardware (actually it will still work even if windows crashes)

I have been running it for days doing various stress tests and that intel board seems to be rock stable. no crash at all yet.
xite_003_working.jpg

all i have to do now is cut and solder the wire for the power brick to the receptacle. make a power switch/light assembly and neaten everything up, make bracket for SSD and PSU etc.

Here is a video of it booting up (before it was put in the enclosure) setup now is exactly the same except without the ugly huge power supply.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFVdGL6nQoM

Why is it called X-03? well soniccore has a new box called XITE-1 it is something like $4000 and this DSP card is about 0.03 times as powerful as that one :) mind you they dont have a computer in theirs :)

Last edited:
Back