wxp64bit....questions

EagleOne

Gawd
hello need some advice....
yes i have w764 and wxp pro32 already,

im planing to install wxp 64bit....on a vertex4 or one of the fastest ssd drives going thru my sata 6gb/s crosshairIV extreme board.
basically i will be doing IE surfing, doing some reports with microsoft word.
what was all the talk about wxp64 years ago nothing worked ......

When XP 64-bit first came out there wasn't very good driver support. However, as time went on 64-bit drivers started to come out more and more. If you were to install it today, you shouldn't have an issue with programs and drivers.

Though as far as SSD's and XP go, I don't know how good the performance will be, as XP doesn't have a lot of the extra code to manage SSD's like 7 does.

Right any reason why you're going with WinXP x64 rather then Win7 x64 on that SSD. I'm pretty sure you won't have TRIM support on WinXP on that SSD. If its a specific application that needs XP have you tried running it in a VM on Win7?

When XP 64-bit first came out there wasn't very good driver support. However, as time went on 64-bit drivers started to come out more and more. If you were to install it today, you shouldn't have an issue with programs and drivers.
XP64 support got grandfathered in because of it's base Server 2003 lineage. That said, stuff that was not likely to be plugged into a server (ie. webcams) did not get strong XP64 support. I never did get a working webcam driver for my old laptop.

Any computer that can handle a 64-bit processor can likely run Windows 7 fine. I don't think anyone serious about using a 64-bit OS is going to do so on derelict hardware.

yes now i remember , thanks for reminding me of vm running in xp compatability mode.....
sszero...can you guide me there in my w7 to vm...i will write down....thank you my friend

However, as time went on 64-bit drivers started to come out more and more. If you were to install it today, you shouldn't have an issue with programs and drivers.

Can some one confirm this? It does not make sense because programers never supported Win XP x64 OS.

Can some one confirm this? It does not make sense because programers never supported Win XP x64 OS.

So are you saying that because it's a 64 bit OS you can't run 32 bit programs on it? Did they change something with Vista and 7 64 bit that allows 32 bit programs to run?

I think I need to dig out my spare ISO and install XP 64.

EDIT: According to THIS Microsoft KB article you can run 32 bit programs just like todays 64-bit versions, but you can't run 16-bit applications.

None of this matters though, because the OP should go with Windows 7 since he's getting a SSD.

So are you saying that because it's a 64 bit OS you can't run 32 bit programs on it? Did they change something with Vista and 7 64 bit that allows 32 bit programs to run?

I think I need to dig out my spare ISO and install XP 64.

EDIT: According to THIS Microsoft KB article you can run 32 bit programs just like todays 64-bit versions, but you can't run 16-bit applications.

None of this matters though, because the OP should go with Windows 7 since he's getting a SSD.

I meant to say there there is no support for windows xpx64 edition. I was unable to find any firewall program that worked on XP x64. I personally like Zonealarm firewall. They support x64 version OS but not Win XP x64. The installation will tell you that "your OS is XP x64" and stop the install.

Go with Windows 7 if you can. I personally use XP 32bit on my main PC cus i got a lot of old programs that work perfectly.

There is absolutely no reason to run 64-bit XP.

64-bit Windows 7 is faster, more secure, supports modern hardware, and runs the same applications. 64-bit versions of Windows XP/Vista/7 can all run 32 and 64-bit applications.

There is absolutely no reason to run 64-bit XP.

64-bit Windows 7 is faster, more secure, supports modern hardware, and runs the same applications. 64-bit versions of Windows XP/Vista/7 can all run 32 and 64-bit applications.

Oh boy, here we go again. There is nothing wrong with it, if you already have a license and your computer is supported then go for it, heck, if you plan to use the license so it doesnt gets wasted, then give it to someones who needs a free os, thats what i'd do.

Oh boy, here we go again. There is nothing wrong with it, if you already have a license and your computer is supported then go for it, heck, if you plan to use the license so it doesnt gets wasted, then give it to someones who needs a free os, thats what i'd do.

There is something wrong with it. It is unsupported for some software (like itunes) that is supported on other 64-bit versions of windows. Likewise, many printers (like my canon mg3122) are supported on vista-64 and win7-64 but not XP64. The 64-bit driver situation got much better for vista and 7, but not for XP. XP64 was stillborn and few hardware makers have made a serious effort to support it. If you don't believe me try it yourself. Look up your printers and other random devices and see how many have XP64 drivers. You might be ok with a common wired network card, but good luck if you have a wireless card. The Dlink DWL-G520 in my HTPC doesn't have drivers. And don't forget, no itunes! Nvidia doesn't even provide the newest graphics drivers for XP64 anymore! Go to their driver page and pick Geforce 600 series with XP64 and see what happens.

EDIT: Ok the nvidia situation is weird. There is a 301.42 available for XP64 but it claims to not support the GTX 690 while the 301.42 for the other OS's do support it. Not sure if that's a typo or if the GTX 690 is just plain unsupported on XP. Anyway, it looks like a GTX 690 would be a no-go on XP64.

Last edited:
thanks for al the advice my friends, its going on another chIV board amd.
i have a new licensed copy from long ago never opened xp64, xp32 is my main drive, i have w764 on my revodrive3 x2 240gb.....i have no wireless im direct cable.
thanks

I run XP proffesional x64 edition on my office desktop because I needed more ram and I didn't fancy transitioning to a new UI at the time. The machine is a dell vostro 420 (which has the strange characteristic of supporting 8GB of ram but not being officially supported with any 64-bit OS, go figure).

Here are my experiances

All the stuff onboard worked fine though I had to go searching arround for some of the drivers.
A cheap realtek network card I tried was very flaky, an old PRO/100 didn't seem to have a driver available other network cards and the onboard network (which interestingly is the same realtek chipset) have worked fine.
The HP scanjet 4500C grabbed a driver from windows update and worked fine.
MPLAB IDE bitches on launch that it "may not support this OS" and the driver for the ICD3 bitches on install that it hasn't been certified for this version of windows but it seems to work fine,
The NI midaq refuses to install it's software/drivers
The data translation DT9816 works with the low level C API but not with the higher level APIs
The NVIDIA graphics cards seem fine.

if you were to go 64bit why might not take w764bit? Better compatibility in general imo, glad i switched over from xp64bit to 764bit

I use windows xp64 because I hate windows 7. everything about it, I hate it. it works fine.

I use windows xp64 because I hate windows 7. everything about it, I hate it. it works fine.

I feel you there. There are tons of disadvantages running Windows 7 and as long as you don't want to play Battlefield 3 then you aren't missing much using xp x64.

I feel you there. There are tons of disadvantages running Windows 7 and as long as you don't want to play Battlefield 3 then you aren't missing much using xp x64.

There are tons of disadvantages to running Win 7 rather than XP64??

There are tons of disadvantages to running Win 7 rather than XP64??

And Microsoft Made a version of XP X64 without product activation which is so pleasant to use vs. dealing with the pain in the ass automated activation system. Also it's wonderful to have that extra 17GB of free space on my Vertex 2e, really makes a difference.

And Microsoft Made a version of XP X64 without product activation which is so pleasant to use vs. dealing with the pain in the ass automated activation system. Also it's wonderful to have that extra 17GB of free space on my Vertex 2e, really makes a difference.

I've never had any problems with activation. Most times its just clicking to allow it to activate online and you're done. Granted, if you have no internet connection, or have activated the same code several times you have to go through the phone process, but that has been the exception rather than the norm from my experience.

I certainly concede that Win7 by default has a much larger footprint when installed, but a little configuration with vlite and 7slimmer for your install media can get your installed size down to 5-6GB. Still larger than XP (32 bit anyhow, not sure the default size of XP64 installations).

I've got it running on my HP XW8400 and have no issues. Sometimes I just want to run XP lol. A lot of the "no apps or drivers work on XP 64 bit" thing was when it first came out. Now you can pretty much run whatever on it though.

wxp64 so when i load it on my newer ssd, can i goto microwsoft and get all the updates and what didnt work years ago driver wize, now it will work much better with the new updates

comeback.......:cool:

How often do you need to activate Windows that would make this such a pain to deal with? And 17Gb of extra space? At the end of the day, I really don't see these as very compelling reasons to make the hassle of maintaining an XPx64 OS worthwhile.

...and staring at the insanely tiny memory usage in XP Task Manager.

Windows XP-64 bit is better because it doesn't use all that RAM for a useful, noticeable purpose like superfetch and other things? Wow.

I wanted to bring up 3 things:
1) One of your posts mentioned you were interested in running virtualPC windows xp in win7pro. This led me to believe that the reason you trying to go with xp x64 is because you have some old program that isn't working well with vista/7.
xp x64 is bit different from xp, and there is no guarantee it will be able to run your legacy software. virtualPC will probably be a better solution, however, if your software interfaces directly with some piece of hardware, you may have trouble getting it setup/finding drivers and passing through the device to a virtual windows xp running on windows 7.

here is your link to virtualPC xp mode for windows 7, keep in mind its going to attempt to validate that you have a legit copy of windows 7 pro/ultimate.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vi...true&system=8&lang=25&buttonClicked=winXpMode

2) When you're looking for drivers for xp x64, sometimes you wont find any, but you will see drivers for windows server 2003 x64, download those, there is a very good chance they will work.

3) I used windows xp x64 about 4 years ago, I didn't have trouble finding drivers for any of my internal components (creative sound card, ati 4850, intel p35 chipset w/ realtek NIC), however, I didn't plugin any external periripherals like others here have done. I also didn't do much on the computer except browse the internet, play a little counterstrike source and use my favorites tools (7zip, virtual clonedrive, imgburn) now and again.

Back