WWDC June 2017

AltTabbins

Fully [H]
Anyone else going to watch? I'm not expecting much, mostly looking forward to seeing if they change anything with IOS.

Passively watching right now. They just announced a marginal performance bump to the mbp laptops and did not get rid of that crap bar.

It seems the new iMac Pro is the Mac Pro successor, starting at $4999.
Update: The base model is only 8 cores and 32GB, poor value.

It seems the new iMac Pro is the Mac Pro successor, starting at $4999.
Update: The base model is only 8 cores and 32GB, poor value.

Did they say it was the successor or is it like a pro version of the imac?

No information provided, but I'm hoping for a real Mac Pro successor in the future.

No information provided, but I'm hoping for a real Mac Pro successor in the future.

Me too. I like the idea of having a pro version of the imac, but I still want to see a dedicated machine that isn't tied to a display.

Pretty underwhelming event, but expected. People wanted more "magical" lol

It's like Apple feels the need to try pricing themselves out of every market, just so they can pretend to be more premium.

It actually does work. Back when iPhone was an expensive att exclusive it had an 'exclusive club' feel that people wanted and listed over. Now it's available on any carrier for free in some cases, and the plebs can get them it's not a 'premium' phone anymore

They already said in their previous announcement about the Mac pro, that they would be building an iMac Pro and a headless Mac Pro. Headless Mac Pro is 2018 at the earliest.

I'd been waiting to see what they would do with the MBP line. I'd be interested in getting a 13, but it doesn't fix the main thing I'd care about: RAM. I may be willing to use a Mac for some daily driving, but 16 is so limiting.

I think they finally did a lot of overdue updates.

The iMac got a refresh finally brining it into line with 64GB max Ram, TB3/USBC, and a 580. General pricing cost and configurations on it have gone down in price as well. It no longer costs $4k to get a configuration worth having. Simply max out the processor and buy the RAM yourself for $2500 + Ram. Upgrading the Fusion drive or SSDs of course is "nice to do", but not necessary to have a snappy machine with 'enough' internal space.
iMac Pro was announced, although they're going to have to make their value proposition amazing if they're planning on charging $5k for it.

The only way I can see that happening is if it has two Vega cards in Crossfire and its minimum hardware cores are 8 maybe even 12. I'm thinking it also should or maybe pushing an 8K display... or OLED. Something to be deserving of that price. Because $5k even eclipses entry level Mac Pros by a fair margin. So that hardware and that display has to make sense. Because if not, it will make far more sense to buy a regular iMac and buy an Akitio Node driving another external 5k Display with your own Vega, or a 1080Ti or a Titan, or (pick your GPU) for an extra say $1500 rather than $2500 up to an iMac Pro.

EDIT: So according to Apple and their specs listed so far, the iMac pro is "only" a 5K display that supports P3, with an 8-Core Processor Base, 1TB SSD, 32GB of RAM and a single Vega GPU. https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/specs/
I would say the $5k asking price is just far too high then. That means upgrading to 128GB of RAM or 16GB graphics card, 10/18 Core processor, and or bigger SSD is even more on top of that. This isn't going to make sense for anyone really outside of a production house or people with a lot of money.
I think $3500 or even $4k is much more reasonable then. That just from $4000 to $5000 is really significant, and I think as a result it's just priced out of what makes sense... and once again, that's just for the base model! For the time being then, I think it makes more sense to go the route I said and just buy a regular iMac with an eGPU unless there is something that you do that requires more cores.

===

They finally did an iPad Pro update, which is welcomed.

New iOS. tvOS. watchOS. New HomePOD thingy (which should've been wireless/battery powered). But other than that, I would say a lot of it looks good.

I know there are a lot of criticisms already (which Apple always has), but the stuff that is launching today looks great, and so long as they have a handle on the iMac Pro in December and the new Mac Pro hopefully in the beginning of 2018, most of people's complaints will go away. There is new hardware available today for those that need it. And new other stuff is coming soon.

Last edited:
I think they finally did a lot of overdue updates.
EDIT: So according to Apple and their specs listed so far, the iMac pro is "only" a 5K display that supports P3, with an 8-Core Processor Base, 1TB SSD, 32GB of RAM and a single Vega GPU. https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/specs/
I would say the $5k asking price is just far too high then. That means upgrading to 128GB of RAM or 16GB graphics card, 10/18 Core processor, and or bigger SSD is even more on top of that. This isn't going to make sense for anyone really outside of a production house or people with a lot of money.
I think $3500 or even $4k is much more reasonable then. That just from $4000 to $5000 is really significant, and I think as a result it's just priced out of what makes sense... and once again, that's just for the base model! For the time being then, I think it makes more sense to go the route I said and just buy a regular iMac with an eGPU unless there is something that you do that requires more cores.
This is Apple Price Land, and here, the numbers stop making sense early on. The current buyable i7 5k iMac with 32GB and 1TB is $3700. So the iMac Pro base is *only* $1300 more for the cores and the GPU and oh yeah space grey. Apple's RAM and storage upgrades are always stupid expensive, and the storage is a warranty-breaking pain/risk to mess with so if you want that 1TB you gotta get it at purchase time.

I have a 2015 iMac 5K loaded (with 64GB aftermarket) and I got it used for $3200. Over 1/3 of that is the 1TB SSD and the 64GB RAM add-on (which when the original owner put it in it was about a $900 kit).

This is Apple Price Land, and here, the numbers stop making sense early on. The current buyable i7 5k iMac with 32GB and 1TB is $3700. So the iMac Pro base is *only* $1300 more for the cores and the GPU and oh yeah space grey. Apple's RAM and storage upgrades are always stupid expensive, and the storage is a warranty-breaking pain/risk to mess with so if you want that 1TB you gotta get it at purchase time.

I have a 2015 iMac 5K loaded (with 64GB aftermarket) and I got it used for $3200. Over 1/3 of that is the 1TB SSD and the 64GB RAM add-on (which when the original owner put it in it was about a $900 kit).

Other OEMs do similar things with their pricing of RAM and upgrades in HDs. That isn't an Apple only penalty. I think most have figured out that whether you're buying from Apple or any other OEM that there are sweet spot upgrades, or upgrades that cost relatively minor amounts for a big increase in performance.

No one buys RAM directly from Apple, unless literally their convenience/time is worth far more than saving $1000. Which does exist.

===

Long and the short, say what I mean to say: people care about certain pricing and ignore others. There has been huge complaints about the so-called Apple tax. Nothing comparable exists. My brother has been shopping for a comparable PC versus an MBPr for VM and security consulting work and he honestly can find nothing (partly due to the fact that in his job, he knows far more about backdoor exploits, doesn't trust any Chinese manufacturer [which isn't just pure paranoia either, he linked me to the DoD briefs stating that no government employee could use any Chinese based brands for that reason] and they all have issues in one place or another. Terrible customer service/warranty issues. Cost. Backdoors. Build quality. Reliability. In every manufacturer, there are these problems. Apple's big 'problem' if anything is 'cost'.

People complain. And this isn't directed at you per say, as you made your own decision to buy Apple: but buy it or don't. I don't think there is anything comparable to what Apple is doing in either the iMac or MBPr. Everytime a manufacturer gets close, PC buyers complain, because they figure out this stuff costs money to do.

The new iMac can get the processor upgrade and be $2500 which is excellent. But your own ram and buy your own HD upgrades should you choose, save a bundle. I think it's one of the best deals there have been in a machine in a while.

===

To finish the story about my bro, the reason why he doesn't want to buy an MBPr mostly translate to image. There is an expectation that a person working in a Linux/Unix environment will bring in a PC. I of course think it's retarded that that is the issue, but sadly in this world you have to make appearances to make your money.

Looking for a new laptop and was actually considering the MBP but the GPU is just so under-powered and the new 500 series AMD chips seems like rebrands. So so so sad. I was looking for a spec bump or more vram.

I bought the iPad Pro. I use my iPad daily and the one i have is the first retina model. Been looking forward to it. And it was free (to me) since I used my computer money allotment.

My overall thoughts:

-iOS now has a file manager? HELL, IT'S ABOUT TIME!

I thought it was bad enough that they didn't launch with cut/copy/paste or 3G back in the day, but that was far, far too long overdue, not to mention a big reason why I couldn't take iOS seriously as a "pro" platform. Now all they need is Xcode on iOS to make up the other big "pro" deficiency...

-The new iPad Pros sound promising. Expensive, but promising.

I'm hoping the 10.5" model isn't RAM-gimped like the 9.7" one was, because I wouldn't mind sacrificing a bit of screen real estate for extra portability and a lower price - but not when it means going from 4 GB of RAM to just 2 GB!

-TB 3.0 eGPU support now official, along with HTC Vive support? Now they're getting serious!

I wonder if Oculus will follow suit and reinstate support for macOS, considering they dropped it for CV1 largely because the Mac lineup was complete weak sauce on the GPU end of things.

-The iMac Pro doesn't really interest me unless it turns out they brought back Target Display Mode via TB 3.0. It does have the video bandwidth for 5K 60 Hz over a single port, right?

Back