• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WUXGA 20" monitors?

napol30n

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 29, 2005
Messages
84
Why don't they make 20" WUXGA monitors? They have 17" WUXGA panels for laptops, and i think 1920x1200 would be a better size than 1680x1050 for a 20/21" widescreen monitor. I dont think it would be too crammed either. I'm too lazy to do the math, but im pretty sure it would be fairly close in dpi to a 1600x1200 19" CRT (18" viewable) which seems to be the holy grail for DPI.
 
Yeah they even make WUXGA on 15 inch laptop screens (and I'm looking at a 15 inch WXSGA+), so why are desktop LCDs so much less resolution?
 
Since a desktop monitor is not pressed for space as much as a laptop, they figgure if you want a higher resolution you can go for a larger monitor, which makes sense to me.

1900x1200 on a 20" laptop would do murder to my eyes trying to read text.
The diffrence between a 20" @ 1900x1200 (~120dpi) and a 19" @ 1280x1024 (~85dip) is a huge jump for just one extra diagonal inch of physics size.

The dpi for a normal 20.1" @ 1600x1200 is ~97.5dpi.
The dpi for a widescreen 20.1" @ 1680x1050 is ~93.5dpi.
These are very close values. So a person comparing these two monitors should not notice a size diffrence, just an aspect raito diffrence.

So again, that is a huge diffrence in DPI.... 93.5 compared to 120.
(assuming a pixle is square. I refer to a "dot" as a pixle in this case)

It just makes things look to small with such a high resolution, to the point where most people would find it hard for use with text based things. I think that's the main reason you don't see 1900x1200 20.1" desktop LCD monitors.
 
napol30n said:
Why don't they make 20" WUXGA monitors?
Well i know one reason is def based upon *money*. The wuxga panel+video controller cost a lot more than ones with a lower resolution. It's also harder to bury the cost in an lcd monitor, but yet it's easier to inflate the price of a laptop (to make up for the lcd panel+controller price difference that is).

I've priced out quite a few raw lcd panels and controllers at asian online merchants and there's just no comparison. WUXGA panels+controllers cost far more than lower rez panels and controllers. Higher price often means lower volume, and lower volume often means lower profits for monitor manufacturers etc etc.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but in the world of business and manufacturing, cost is often a large motivator.
 
This would essentially be giving us lower dot pitches on LCD which typically hover around .258-.27 mm. I definitely wish more companies would invest in this and offer special models with lower dot pitches for specific fields of work such as cad / vector design. The only 20+ inch lcd model I've seen that has a lower dot pitch than .25mm is the IBM TT21 but this monitor is around $5-9K and the extreme res is a bit overkill. (3840 x 2400 on a 22.2")
 
Interesting discussion. I read recently that some notebook manufacturers will be releasing 20" laptops this year, and supposedly these will be equipped with WUXGA screens. Therefore, soon there will actually be a WUXGA 20" screen size available in the market, but not for desktop use, unfortunately.
 
Back
Top