• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WTH Causes this...

KarsusTG

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Aug 27, 2010
Messages
3,314
When I connect my monitor directly to my laptop via HDMI I get this..

IMG-20130303-00082_zps66f93049.jpg


However if I connect the monitor using the same cable to my docking station, it's crystal clear.... It's driving me crazy, because I can use that exact same cable and connect to my TV and it's also crystal clear... WTF is going on?!?!

Laptop in question is an XPS L502x with a 540M.
 
or the hdmi port is going bad on the laptop (I assume the docking station is using the 540m from the laptop and not switching to intel graphics)
 
Don't assume the HDMI cable is OK. I've seen HDMI cables fail only when connected to a PC graphics card, but run fine when used elsewhere (ie a console). I'm guessing there are slightly different voltages/timings being sent which bring any cable fault to the surface.

Ignore me if as above the docking station is being used with the same laptop tho.
 
It's a USB 3.0 docking station. When I got into the Intel control panel it shows one monitor and the nvidia control panel shows the second monitor. It just makes me wonder because I can unplug the HDMI cable from the monitor and jack it into the 1080p tv right beside me without ever d/c from the laptop and it's crystal clear...

Edit: It's this docking station I am using.
 
For troubleshooting purposes have you tried a different hdmi cable yet?
 
It's the only one I have atm. Going to pick another one up tomorrow. I couldn't see how it could be bad since it works via the docking station and when hooked up to the TV. Stranger things have happened though.
 
Back
Top