WTH Causes this...

KarsusTG

2[H]4U
When I connect my monitor directly to my laptop via HDMI I get this..

IMG-20130303-00082_zps66f93049.jpg

However if I connect the monitor using the same cable to my docking station, it's crystal clear.... It's driving me crazy, because I can use that exact same cable and connect to my TV and it's also crystal clear... WTF is going on?!?!

Laptop in question is an XPS L502x with a 540M.

or the hdmi port is going bad on the laptop (I assume the docking station is using the 540m from the laptop and not switching to intel graphics)

Don't assume the HDMI cable is OK. I've seen HDMI cables fail only when connected to a PC graphics card, but run fine when used elsewhere (ie a console). I'm guessing there are slightly different voltages/timings being sent which bring any cable fault to the surface.

Ignore me if as above the docking station is being used with the same laptop tho.

It's a USB 3.0 docking station. When I got into the Intel control panel it shows one monitor and the nvidia control panel shows the second monitor. It just makes me wonder because I can unplug the HDMI cable from the monitor and jack it into the 1080p tv right beside me without ever d/c from the laptop and it's crystal clear...

Edit: It's this docking station I am using.

For troubleshooting purposes have you tried a different hdmi cable yet?

It's the only one I have atm. Going to pick another one up tomorrow. I couldn't see how it could be bad since it works via the docking station and when hooked up to the TV. Stranger things have happened though.

Back