wtf is wrong with my temps???

Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
724
ok, so about a month ago, i decided to lap my cpu and re-lap my TRUE to get better temps. I installed it using as5, made sure it had good spread with no bubbles or anything, etc. BUT my temps still suck (i'm just getting around to posting this now). I'm running my Q6600 at 3.6, and my idle temps are 40, 39, 35, 35, and under full prime95 load they go to just below 70 degrees. I have a scythe s-flex on my TRUE as well, so how can my temps possibly be so high? I can't even really overclock any more because raising the voltage makes my temps go above 80 degrees while stress testing. It's not that horribly hot in my room and I've been seeing these temps consistently throughout various weather. What is the secret to getting good temps that I should deserve from a lapped cpu/lapped TRUE?
 
Might I suggest getting a fan controller for your case Scythe fans...one of the reasons could be the fans do not kick in fast enough before the CPU gets a little too warm...look ay your idle temps, they aren't that high, but when they start to get a high load, fans might recognize to increase in temp fast enough to create a good airflow...I would also like to know howd you applied to thermal paste: line, double line, cross, etc.?

I might also suggest getting some MX-2 instead, I have heard from people that they have gotten a few degrees lower temp when switching from AS5 to MX2
 
Temps dont look bad for quad @ 3.6. Whats your ambient temps anyhow and what program(s) are you using to monitor temps.
 
What are your volts? if they are around 1.35 and above I think that looks about right.
 
Temps dont look bad for quad @ 3.6. Whats your ambient temps anyhow and what program(s) are you using to monitor temps.

Yeah, for a Q6600 at those speeds, those temps are not unusually high IMO. These quads run hot and 3.6 is pretty much the limit of what these chips can be pushed to on air. I don't know why you think this is so unusual. Those things aside, the case airflow and ambient temperatures will also significantly effect your temperatures.
 
nothing wrong with your temp. It's normal for air cooling. Were you expecting around 30ish degree because you lapped the CPU and the cooler? :D
Lapping CPU or cooler only gain 1-2 degrees, if you're looking for mid 20 degree then you should go for TEC cooling.
 
I hit about 66C on a lapped Q6600 and a S1283, I think I may have hit a high of 68C iirc. I'm back down to 3.2 and hit a max of 58C on F@H so I'm happy.
 
I applied the thermal paste like the as5 instructions - 1 thin line across the chip. my case is an antec 900 with all scythe s-flex fans (except the 200mm on top). My vcore at the moment is 1.375 i believe. I'm thinking about getting a fan controller though just to make sure the fans are running at 100% because the fan monitoring on my mobo bios isn't very convincing.

Also, on a side note - i saw through some system information or benchmark program that 3.8 is the max frequiency for the q6600. I tried to overclock to 4.0 about a week ago and could boot into windows fine, but after launching prime95 i would instantly get bsod, no matter what voltages i used. Does this just mean that my chip can't handle it, or is there some other setting I neglected?
 
Pretty much the same thing happens with my q6600 and TRUE, both lapped. My idle temp was actually higher than yours, but on full p95 load, it goes just a bit below 70 @3.6ghz 1.4675v, so I lowered it down to 3.2ghz 1.2875v. I had pretty cool room temps also. Now my Room temps have been getting really hot lately though, and I idle really high now, (45-50c), -_-, and thats at 3.2ghz.

I expected a little more from the TRUE and the whole lapping process (took me forever!), but oh well. I won't even try 3.6 in my room temps right now... It was around 95F this weekend -_- outside.
 
several people have been seeing better temps when using diamond 7! but you temps don't look all that bad. May I suggest next time you put on thermal compound that you don't take your heatsink off and look to make sure it spread ok, That is a bad thing because when you put the heatsink back on you make bubbles.
 
My Q6600 can run at 3600 1.4875V in bios, 65-60C under prime95 but since 200MHz doesn't really make that much of a difference I dropped it to 3400 (8x425) 1.375V and it doesn't go above 55C in prime, or above 50C folding.
 
Also, on a side note - i saw through some system information or benchmark program that 3.8 is the max frequiency for the q6600. I tried to overclock to 4.0 about a week ago and could boot into windows fine, but after launching prime95 i would instantly get bsod, no matter what voltages i used. Does this just mean that my chip can't handle it, or is there some other setting I neglected?

I don't know where you saw that 3.8 is the max frequency, but that's not true. People have broken 3.8 with the Q6600, but you're not going to do it on air. In your case, it apparent that even if you did get it running at 4.0, you would have unacceptable temperatures as you're pretty much running as hot as I would ever go right now. It's possible that you're limited by the chip at 4.0, but it's also possible that it's your RAM configuration, or something else. Honestly though, 3.6 is a great OC and 50% increase over stock is huge.
 
Use Realtemp to get the core temps and if you set it to show Delta to TjMax, you can see how far you can push it before throttling starts.

The temps you have been getting look about right for Coretemp and other temp measuring utils.
 
Back
Top