wtf is this??? Bigfoot Networks Killer NIC

Adidas4275

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833342001

WTF is this thing???? GPU $300+, PPU $150+ NPU??????

this is getting rediculius... is this for real? it looks like a PCIe NIC is that all it is?

and WTH does a 400 MHz Network Processing Unit do?

why do i need 400mhz to process my internet?

is it to remove the load off the CPU? giving maybe some increase in FPS???

and there are reviews... some dumb asses bought this thing...

There actually was a front page article of this exact NIC here at the [H]. It was a decent article and shed light on the fact that there is quite a bit to this NIC than you'd think. The actual hardware itself runs on Linux allowing you to have a little linux OS running inside your Windows machine.

Obviously this only makes sense for a select few people... and the price reflects that

Use the search button - multiple page thread on it already.

Followed by at least one if not two follow ups asking the same question you asked.
Same goes for the HotDeals forum as well.

I will point out one thing... it's not PCIe... it's PCI.

Old news I'm afraid, do some searches. :) Or read the preview that [H] did on it.

It's marketed towards the "I'm going to spend $4000.00 on my gaming PC" type people, not towards the average joe. I had sticker shock as well and I hope that as supply increases we may see PCIe versions at a slightly more favorable price point but I'm not holding my breath. The capabilities of this kind of design go beyond "faking" pings in games though, it's essentially a linux box sitting on a PCI card in your computer.

i'll save the $230-270 and buy a GB NIC. seems like that works just fine for me. no need to have 1/2 ping better....maybe. as people who know networking, the fastest connection you have is the slowest part of the network.

For hardcore gamers it has been reported to allow higher framerate as less time is spent dealing with network packets and they arrive a bit faster too. More screen updates = more precision, receiving the packets earlier allows the screen updates to happen earlier in some games.
So for hardcore gaming this could become a must have product!

This is due to the cards ability to reduce the PC's latency in dealing with network traffic.
It could be useful on live systems that are bottlenecked by network throughput.
It is costly tho so only get if you have lots of cash or really need one.

protias said:
i'll save the $230-270 and buy a GB NIC. seems like that works just fine for me. no need to have 1/2 ping better....maybe. as people who know networking, the fastest connection you have is the slowest part of the network.

Id rather blow $15.00 on a 10/100 server grade NIC with its own cpu and memories, but thats just me :p.

Though yeah, this is what... 4th thread? 5th? There was one or two in gaming, and numerous ones in here bashing that bling-bling NIC. We really need a side-by-side exhaustive comparison of that thing, to say... NICs all the way from my lowly 10Mbps ISA 3Com etherlink III, up the bigfoot. Cheapo PCI desktop NIC's, onboards, NICs for servers etc.

My vote went toward that its not going to give noticable gains over even an ISA ethernet card, with my theory and strong opinion being your interweb connection is going to have more effect on anything you do. I used two have two compaq proliant servers (5500s), my desktop AMD rig, 24-port managed switch... All of this means crap when I host a CS game on my Comquack cable internet.

I buy a lot of toys for myself and frankly, I would buy a PCIe version of the Killer NIC just for the built in Linux aspect. A few extra FPS in games wouldn't hurt either. Now I just need someone to release a Core2 board with ONE PCI slot, and the rest PCIe(Preferably all x16 physical, electrical is not a big issue as long as there are two x16 electrical slots).

So lets assume a 46 lane or better chipset(nForce590). That is two X16 lanes, leaving 12 lanes to spare. So, two additional X4, and two X2. This means Six PCIe slots and one PCI. Oh, and it would be nice to have the only PCI slot the closest tot he CPU.

Back