WTB win98 workstation

BitchBreaker

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all, I'm working on a project that requires me to use a native win98 computer, open to all offers, but looking for higher-end systems, P3 1.4ghz would be a bonus.

Man... that's a blast from the past... Good luck with the search, we demand pics!

I have a few Windows 98 era machines on hand if you need one. I got these from a client several months ago. Some have been repaired/restored, what's known about them is listed below. None of these machines have hard drives installed, though I can put one in and install Windows 98 for you with all of the drivers and patches if you need it. I only have pictures of the Gateway right now. I can take pictures of the other machines if you're interested in them.

Gateway Essential 667 (PGA370 PIII 667)
- Case had internal rust caused by rodent damage, cleaned and painted with a flat black rust converter internally.
- Top PCI slot has damaged pins and is non-functional. Three remaining PCI slots work fine.
- PSU was recapped because had leaky caps.

Dell Dimension XPS T600 (Slot 1 PIII 600)
- Motherboard was partially recapped due to leaking SMD caps.

Optiplex GX100 (PGA370 Celeron)
- Untested.

I also have a loose motherboards and a case to build it in.

GA-7VKMLS
- Athlon XP 1700+

Nice! can you snap a pic of the pci slot? Replacing it should be easy if the pcb is ok.

Wow, I hope you have a PS/2 keyboard and mouse or can at least find a USB->PS/2 adapter. Have you tried spinning up Windows98 in a VM? I did it along with XP in proxmox about a year or two ago to get some really old cra ppy software to run.

I have tested a little on my esxi server, but id rather have a bare metal machine for this project.

Nice! can you snap a pic of the pci slot? Replacing it should be easy if the pcb is ok.

I was going to fix it, but after trying to remove a PCI slot from a scrap board to put in this board, I gave up. 124 pins in four rows super close together with a fat ground plane all around it = nope. The scrap board required so much heat that it damaged the PCI slot I was trying to remove, so wasn't going to even attempt it again. It would be a different story if you had a loose PCI slot on hand, then you could just cut the socket off and remove the pins individually, which is much easier. I don't keep loose PCI slots on hand, so couldn't do that.

Here's a picture of the damage. Red arrows indicate the damaged pins, they're green and corroded just enough to make the slot not work.
wwnjbZV.jpg

Here's a pic of the machine booted into Windows 98. I forgot I had installed it on a hard drive hidden on the top of the case.
DSE1cCm.jpg

Here's pictures of the Optiplex GX100. This one doesn't have a drive installed.

Here's pictures of the Dell Dimension XPS T600. I'd figure this is the one you'd be most interested in since it has AGP, PCI and ISA slots. It also has a Yamaha YMF724 sound chip for great DOS compatibility.

I think I have some spare PS/2 mice and a keyboard I can include with whichever system you decide on.

Hello all, I'm working on a project that requires me to use a native win98 computer, open to all offers, but looking for higher-end systems, P3 1.4ghz would be a bonus.
Just curious, what part of it needs to be native? Is it in need of older board slots or something.

Back