WTB top o the line AGP card...retro madness

jojo69

[H]F Junkie
Well, winter coming on, and one of my favorite winter activities is dicking around with my retro system. It supports AGP 4x. I am in the market for a video card that will saturate the bus. I am thinking a 6th gen card? x800xt or 6800GT to get better shaders.

I am open to education regarding the practical limits of my setup.

This thread is NOT for you telling me to scrap my beloved, pampered retro system...I like this thing, I enjoy fucking with it OK? I UNDERSTAND that it is slow and ineffecient and I am going to upgrade it anyway.

No replies here, but I have received a number of PMs, thanks everyone!!

one guy has a nVidia 6800xt 256mb agp

another has an ATI Radeon X850xt 256 mb DDR3

yet another has an HD 4650 600M 1GB DDR2

all these are pretty comparable in price, in addition the local PC junk

shop has an nVidia FX 5950 256 MB for a bit less

I am doing my own research as time allows, but am interested in the forum's opinions/experiences with these hardware choices.

jojo69... you go fer it. I love retro stuff like that :D if I had a card that was (a) AGP and (b) high spec enough for what you're looking for, I'd be pming you for your address right now.

Unfortunately, all I have are really, really, really, REALLY horrid old AGP cards (think TNT2, Rage128, and GeForce2 MX200... those are the better ones ;) ) and a pair of low-end PCIe cards (a trio if you count the one you sent me yourself). I used to (emphasis on USED TO) have an AGP card that was a somethingorother 6600 (you can tell how much I like chipset graphics here right? :D ) but I sold that thing like a year and a half ago at least. Meh, it was AGP 8x anyways.

That said, I wish you nothing but awesome luck in your search.

i have a collector item "Nvidia FX5800 Ultra" only 5K ever made...lol

I miss my 5950 Ultra.

Anyway I believe I have a 6800 ULtra. You can have it if you wanna paying shipping from louisville. Its not stock though. Its got one of those acceloro thingys on it.

I have a Gigabyte 6800GT with the inverted heat sink cooler sitting in my S939 system if you're interested.

5950 Ultra is just a waste in every sense. Get a 4670 it's the best performance per watt for an AGP system.

I'd take a look at that 4650 if you are looking for a card - interesting that it supports directx 10.1 - you could probably get some points on hwbot trying to run 3dmark vantage with that platform.

Well, looks like piscian18's kind offer is not to be. He thinks he gave it away already and forgot.

But the [H] jury is in and the 6800ultra is the card I am looking for, anybody got one?

I have a 7800GS AGP and I think that is the highest end AGP card short of one ATI card that existed, I forget the name. I bought the 7800 GS at the time specifically to get the fastest AGP card possible.

hmmm, will have to look at that, I will throw it on the other thread and let the guys chew on it...a LOT of good knowledge and experience on this forum

I have an MSI 5950 Ultra. It is specifically the "n box" in which I still have the box and manual. The box isn't in perfect shape though to be honest.

I have an EVGA 7800gs with the original box and all the accessories.

PM me if you're interested.

I have a 7800GS AGP and I think that is the highest end AGP card short of one ATI card that existed, I forget the name. I bought the 7800 GS at the time specifically to get the fastest AGP card possible.

I think the X1950 Ultra beat the 7800GS?? Trying to remember. But there were also ATI 3000 and 4000 series cards that were released in AGP also.

OP, I may have something to offer up as well. I will PM when I know for sure. :)

Ok guys, I made a deal with a forum member and my new XFX HD 4650 600M 1GB should be here tomorrow. I'm pretty psyched to see if it will driver up in the old beast.

Here is the new question, supposedly the minimum PSU for this card is 400W. I have 2 different Antec PSUs here, an SL350 and a SL400...but here is the thing...the 400 says 18A on the 12V rail while the 350 claims 21A.

The card's main appetite is for 12V right? Does anyone remember if 21A will drive this thing, it seems like the 350 is my best bet.

dude I know, revisions maybe? I got the 350 sitting right here in front of me...sticker says 12V 21A. Site says 12V 16A.

The sticker and the site agree on the 400 at 18A.

Back