• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WTB portable HD, what should I get?

tdx

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 3, 2005
Messages
154
Hey everyone,

I'm interested in getting a portable hard drive to carry large files around (I'm a video editor). I've been doing some research and with all the options out there, i can't make up my mind, so i need some advice.

1. 2.5'' or 3.5"? I know the latter has more space, but i'm really worried about carrying a desktop hard drive around. Are 3.5" HD safe for carrying around or will I damage them?

2. USB 2.0 or Esata? Esata is supposedly faster than USB, but if I buy a 2.5" drive (probably 5400 rpm), won't the lower rotational speed make any Esata speed advantage null?

3. Finally, I heard some portable drives don't need their own power adapter, but rather get their juice out of USB. Which drives are that? What is the maximum space/rpm that I can get?

Thanks, TDX
 
2.5" drives can often times be powered by the bus. USB/ Firewire is more widely available than eSATA.
The speed limit of USB 2.0 is ~24-26MB/s for the transfers that HDDs use. Depending on the HDD, a 5400rpm drive may break that (likely).

Frequently, 2.5" drives are more "rugged" than their 3.5" cousins.
 
Ok so I guess i'll go for a 2.5" then. Now, ideally I would get a 2.5" self-powered (by USB) enclosure that has USB/Esata ports. Does it exist?
 
Back
Top