WTB: "Old" Computer hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultatryon@ecc

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking to buy some old computer hardware, as I have been introducing my kids to games that I played when I was their age. I am interested in anything PC based up to Pentium 3 era. I have a good number of P3 bits already, but if some less than common or very high end for the time parts come up, then I will be interested. I am much more interested in 386, 486, and Pentium bits, personally.

I am sure that anyone here over the age of 30 has a couple of old parts in their closets or shelves. I would love to put some of them to good use instead of collecting dust.

Here is a more specific breakdown of things I am looking for:

Motherboards/CPUs: 8086/8088, 286, 386, 486/5x86, Pentium, K6, Cyrix, Winchip, etc.. Athlon Slot/Socket A
Memory: DIP memory chips, 30 Pin SIMMs/SIPPs, 72 Pin
Video Cards: ISA, VLB, Some PCI, very unusual/high end AGP
Sound Cards: Most ISA, some Interesting/uncommon PCI cards..
Hard Drives: Under 10GB IDE drives, any 50pin SCSI drives
Multi Interface Cards: VLB only. I have a stack of ISA I/O cards already.
Floppy Drives: 5.25" drives only.
Optical Drives: Slower IDE CD (2x-8x), SCSI CD or DVD, and Pre-IDE (Sony, Mitsumi, or Panasonic Interface) CD, Oddball drives like the Kenwood TrueX or multi-CD changers.
Other Drives: ZIP, LS120, JAZZ, and Floptical Drives

Basically, if you have some junk that you want to get rid of in your closet, I may very likely pay you a couple of bucks and shipping to me. If you are in CT, Western MA, or RI.. I can come pick stuff up as well.

PM me what you have and how much you want, and I will let you know what I am interested in. I am not looking to spend a whole lot on these parts. If I wanted to be price gouged on a PCI Video card.. I would go to eBay.

Also, I am *not* interested in any Pentium 2, Slot 1 Pentium 3, or 4 (or newer), Athlon 64s (or newer), Common PCI Video cards, Common AGP cards or any kind of PCIe card.

Last edited:
I went to my local thrift store today and got a slot A processor and 2 Rage 3D II cards. Passed on a few gf2mx cards as well. Just as a suggestion of where to look!

Oh, Ive been to every thrift store within 50 miles of here.. and none of them have anything computer related. I have asked them, and they all have policies to "dispose" of it all since it does not sell.

Shitty. I am in Canada, if you wanted to eat the shipping, I wouldn't ask anything for the two cards. One is AGP, one is PCI. The CPU is a p3, I believe, but I would need to check my bin.

I have some stuff. See my thread here.

FS: Cleaning out the closet! Many Computer items - Check often

I am looking to buy some old computer hardware, as I have been introducing my kids to games that I played when I was their age. I am interested in anything PC based up to Pentium 3 era. I have a good number of P3 bits already, but if some less than common or very high end for the time parts come up, then I will be interested. I am much more interested in 386, 486, and Pentium bits, personally.

I am sure that anyone here over the age of 30 has a couple of old parts in their closets or shelves. I would love to put some of them to good use instead of collecting dust.

Here is a more specific breakdown of things I am looking for:

Motherboards/CPUs: Anything from 8086-Pentium 3, Athlons up to XP
Memory: 30 Pin SIMMs/SIPPs, 72 Pin, PC100/133 DIMMs
Video Cards: ISA, VLB, PCI, AGP
Sound Cards: ISA, some PCI..
Hard Drives: Under 2.1GB IDE drives, any 50pin SCSI drives
Floppy Drives: 5.25" and 3.5"
Optical Drives: IDE and SCSI CD, DVD, and CD-R/RW drives
Other Drives: ZIP, LS120, JAZZ, and Floptical Drives
Cases (Localish only): Any style AT, Desktop ATX

Basically, if you have some junk that you want to get rid of in your closet, I will likely pay you a couple of bucks and shipping to me. If you are in CT, Western MA, or RI.. I can come pick stuff up as well.

PM me what you have and how much you want, and I will let you know what I am interested in. I am not looking to spend a whole lot on these parts. If I wanted to be price gouged on a PCI Video card.. I would go to eBay.

i have a couple higher end agp vid cards, a couple scsi hdds, and a controller or two. I've scrapped all my 30 and 72 pin ram, but still have ide drives. maybe even a floppy drive or 2. lastly I have some at to ps2 keyboard adapters and some zip drives and disk

I just thought of a friend that might have a complete skt A pc

Subbed to check when I get home. I have an x1950 or something and some other things lying around.

I've got a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP version if you're interested.

It has the original user manual with it.

Could you be more specific on wanting this old stuff to introduce your kids to old games? Does newer hardware not run the old stuff? I'm just curious.

Most newer hardware doesn't support old DOS and win 9X games.

The AGP cards I have are 6600GTs. Don't forget the old sound blaster 16! I also have a PPro Sony laptop that still works, if you'd like that.

A lot of older games and apps are pretty dependent on the lower clock speeds and specific hardware which is no longer compatible with modern machines.

Sure, there is DOSBox, but that takes a lot of tinkering for each specific application to get them to work correctly. That also does not give me the warm fuzzy nostalgic feeling from firing up period correct machines.

:( Thats why I started this thread, to try to rescue some stuff before it ends up tossed in the trash. Thanks for looking however!

I took a look, I didnt really see anything of interest within my requirements. Thanks!
What do you mean? You are asking for 3.5 1.44 floppy, cdrom/dvd roms. I have those.

I have an ATI All in Wonder 8mb agp card. I have some RAID cards of that era too. Its all in storage.

What do you mean? You are asking for 3.5 1.44 floppy, cdrom/dvd roms. I have those.
Just because it is on my very broad list of interests, does not mean that I am going to pay for every single floppy drive and CDROM drive made available to me. Sorry, but your generic CD drive and PCI NIC are simply not interesting to me.

I just dropped off an entire single core 939 ddr system at the electronics recycling this morning ... and 3 agp cards

Just because it is on my very broad list of interests, does not mean that I am going to pay for every single floppy drive and CDROM drive made available to me. Sorry, but your generic CD drive and PCI NIC are simply not interesting to me.

Definitely not generic drives. Wish you luck as what you are looking for you can't be picky.

Definitely not generic drives. Wish you luck as what you are looking for you can't be picky.

I have amended my list slightly to be more specific when it comes to optical drives.

But for the record, just because you think your items are on my list, does not instantly mean I must buy them. Also, being so pushy in my thread is not going to make me buy items from you. Please just take the "thanks, but no thanks" and move along.

Last edited:
I have amended my list slightly to be more specific when it comes to optical drives.

But for the record, just because you think I your items are on my list, does not instantly mean I must buy them. Also, being so pushy in my thread is not going to make me buy items from you. Please just take the "thanks, but no thanks" and move along.

I wasn't being pushy. You make it very obvious that you are very rude. All your ad showed was CD/dvd rom drives and 1.44 floppy. I had them but you said I didn't have what you wanted which was strange. You didn't say anything about specifics originally. No need to be all grumpy sir. And either way I am in no rush to sell these if I ever do. For that matter they may get thrown out.

I still have a Sound Blaster live 5.1 pci card that missed the trash box last clean out. You're like the third guy I've run into looking for older tech this month.

At this point, I am all good with PCI sound cards unless they are really uncommon. I have a couple of Live and Audigy cards as well as a couple of other Yamaha and ESS cards. I am still looking for ISA sound cards.

I work at a electronic recycling facility. 'ill try to keep an eye out for you.

I will though require the enormous amount of 5-10 cent a pounds + shipping :D
Thats the metal value it goes for as that I'm technically taking from company.

I may still have a few 233mhz range pcs in the garage, going through a divorce and was going to throw away all the 20+ cases with hardware in them when the time comes to that part. They've been in a detached garage for many years, not sure if they will work (some win95 but most are win98 era). As long as things stay sane over there and I have time, cost of shipping... maybe a few bucks for packaging material, basically at cost to pack and get it to you.

I have a radeon x700 Pro thats 8x AGP that im pretty sure still works and i may be interested in selling.

Trying to remember all I have I have a bunch of old stuff. I know I still have a bunch of 72-pin Simms for sure and some Dimms too. Pretty sure I have one of those motherboard cache sticks as well. Just making sure, you are good on SCSI cards right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back