WTB: Okayish laptop for work (maybe i3 or i5 with around 8gb of ram -- I don't really know)

RS3RS

[H]F Junkie
This is a bit of a vague thread, and that's because I don't really know what I want. But if you have any type of laptop for sale, that might be good news for you.

This process is a bit rough for me. I was a huge computer geek on top of my game back in the mid to late 2000's, but now I'm just a washed up has-been that doesn't know much about modern tech. It sucks getting old.

I've been using a laptop from Walmart (which was like $250 four years ago) for a while now. I use it to do work projects (Excel, Word, email, 15 tabs of client websites to evaluate, some occasional Photoshop, maybe a program like Screaming Frog once in a while). This is a Celeron laptop with 4GB of ram running Windows 7, so needless to say it's causing me some nightmares and I'd like to upgrade.

So, as the title suggests, I'm looking for maybe something like an i3 or i5 produced in the last few years (or AMD equivalent). 4GB of ram isn't cutting it, so 8 or 16 would be nice (but if it's upgradable, that's fine too). Would love an SSD, but that's not a requirement.

I'm mostly looking to buy one here that is gently used so I can get more bang for my buck. My gut feeling says to keep it cheap since this crappy laptop has been close to meeting my needs, but who knows -- you might catch me at a time where I've had a few beers and decide I really need the ability to play Apex Legends on the go. :D

Starting point is probably $200-$400 (???), but if it provides a lot of bang for the buck and is cheaper, or appeals to my impulsive nature and is much more expensive, who knows. I'm just here to make things confusing.

I can pay through whatever platform you want. I don't really care about external feedback as long as you're a reputable [H] member.

If you can't find a cheap one here, maybe check eBay for a reputable seller and grab one of these older Dells (Latitude E6500 series) since they can be had really cheap and are still very capable machines.
the one I have is a Dell Latitude E6510, i5 8GB ram 1920x1080 screen. I've seen this model with the lower res screen selling for $130ish shipped, just add an SSD and you are good to go.

I was using mine in my room temporarily, sold my Dual Xeon and now have a really old single 4 core Xeon.
IMG_2629.JPG IMG_2631.JPG

Hopefully to help you out...
I picked up a T460s on ebay for a little more than 300$ + shipping
i5 6300u
8GB RAM
1080p screen
14"

Battery is shot, may cost me about 100 to fix.

If you are not 100% committed to Intel, I have a HP 17" with an AMD A10 8700P quad core and 8gb ram. It is in what I would call excellent condition. It has been sittin on my desk hardly being used. PM me if interested and I can get some pix for ya.

Do you need good battery life? If so ignore below. Lol

I have a gaming gigabite laptop I'm not using. It’s got a gtx 880m and an i7 in it. Raid ssds. I’ll let it go pretty cheap as it’s just been collecting dust for a year.

Back